Constance "Connie" Kendall is a major character in Adventures in Odyssey. Arguably the second-most important character, Connie has appeared in more episodes than any character except John Whittaker. She has been voiced by Katie Leigh since her arrival in Odyssey in #4: “Connie Comes to Town”, and has worked at Whit’s End since she moved to Odyssey. She is spontaneous and never inclined to hold back what she’s thinking, but she has a strong heart for discipleship—especially toward the kids at Whit’s End.
Move to Odyssey
Connie, originally from Los Angeles, California, moved to the Midwest town of Odyssey with her mother, June Kendall, when Connie was a teenager after her parents' divorce. She accepts a job at "Whit's End" at that time, and in time, becomes friends with Whit.
Connie had become very independent and was antsy to return back to California as soon as possible. She also came to Odyssey as a non-believer. For the first three albums this was a major story arc for Connie and through the friendship of Whit, Tom Riley, and the other kids of Odyssey. She eventually accepted Christ as her Savior after a soul searching trip back to California. (#51: “Connie, Part 1” & #52: “Connie, Part 2”)
Upon her return to Odyssey, she found that new help had been hired in the person of Eugene Meltsner. The dynamic relationship between Connie and Eugene was the material for many great comedic episodes. Eugene's logical way of thinking clashed with Connie's impulsiveness and curiosity, and provided comical bickering. Nevertheless, Eugene often ended up drawn into Connie's misadventures, which often ended disastrously. On one occasion, Connie and Eugene gained access to a top-secret computer program called "Applesauce", which Whit had warned them not to touch, and Whit was forced to fire them because his trust in them had been damaged. Whit did eventually hire both Eugene and Connie back when he was certain they'd learned their lesson; however, Connie's curiosity has still gotten her into trouble several times since.
Connie's first romantic relationship was in the episode #111: “First Love”, in which she dates an athlete named Jeff Lewis who was not a Christian. The relationship interferes with her worship at church and she makes the painful decision to break up with him.
Her second relationship was with Robert Mitchell. She was introduced to him in the Novacom saga. She dated him for the next few seasons, and even got engaged to him, but both decided to break up when Mitch was offered a job from the FBI and had to train in Budapest for two years, and they realized they weren't prepared to get married so soon.
It is also discussed among fans that Connie may have had a crush on Eugene, and she did during their camp experience. But other than that Connie has never really seemed to like Eugene in that way.
In “Love Is in the Air, Part 1”, Eugene thinks that Connie had a crush on Jason and blurts it out in front of everyone because he thinks she is jealous of Tasha who came into town and got engaged to Jason. We do not know if Jason has ever harbored such feelings for Connie.
In “Life Expectancy, Part 3” Connie's first love, Jeff Lewis returns and tells her he is a Christian.
Tales of a Small-Town Soda Jerk
Connie started writing a book about Odyssey, which was tentatively called "Tales of a Small-Town Soda Jerk". She decided to write the book in response to Rusty Gordon's book, titled "Tales of a Small-Town Thug", in which he criticizes and makes fun of the town of Odyssey. In “” Connie is writing, she narrates a camp story that she had experienced years before and she reads it out loud to herself, but she doesn't know till years later after that Eugene had been at that very same camp.
However, the book was erased from Connie's computer by Kelly, who didn't wish to be published in the book. (#605: “The Chosen One, Part 1”). Connie was very angry at Kelly for this. Her book had been over 600 pages, and included chapters about the Odyssey romances. But, strangely, Novacom was not put in her book because of its intrigue. Connie tried to rewrite the book, but found that remembering and rewriting all that material was more difficult than she thought. So, instead of rewriting her book, she produced a half hour radio drama about the town of Odyssey that appeared on the fictional radio show, At Home in My Town. The drama was featured in the episode #631: “A Capsule Comes to Town”.
- Main article: Kendall family
Connie Kendall has parents that are divorced, June and Bill. She also has a paternal grandmother and a great uncle, Joe Finneman, who is a war hero #175: “East Winds, Raining”. She also had three stepmothers, May, April, and Jan; her father married and divorced all three of them. She has a paternal aunt, Helen, who is eight years older than she is. She has a younger half sister, Jules. She considers Whit to be a second, truer father to her.
- Her full name is Constance. It means "firmness of mind". #231: “Hallowed Be Thy Name”
- She was an extra in a movie when she lived in LA. The movie was recorded at her school. (#4: “Connie Comes to Town”)
- She once owned a Golden Labrador Retriever named "Kitty". (#7: “Promises, Promises”)
- In #24: “Gotcha!”, she reads her horoscope under Leo, placing her birthday between July 23 and August 22.
- She once wore grease paint to track down a cash register-thief. (#113: “Suspicious Minds”)
- She once saved up to buy a 'brand new' 1967 Ford. (#113: “Suspicious Minds”)
- She was Eugene's driving instructor. (#194: “A License to Drive”)
- She had a credit card, but she over-used it. (#323: “A Little Credit, Please”)
- Dreams By Constance is Connie's wedding coordinator side job. (#353: “A Question About Tasha”, #374: “For Whom The Wedding Bells Toll, Part 3”, #570: “For Better or For Worse, Part 1”, #571: “For Better or For Worse, Part 2”, #667: “The Mystery of the Clock Tower, Part 1”, #679: “The Green Ring Conspiracy, Part 1”)
- She has scars on two of her fingers from a knife. She cut her fingers when Harlow Doyle yelled. (#369: “It's a Wrap!”)
- She was her high school's valedictorian. (#405: “The Graduate”)
- She is not good at cooking. Eugene told Mandy that he "experienced her mashed potatoes...and nearly broke a tooth." (#443: “Changing Rodney”)
- Her favorite snack is sour cream and onion potato chips. (#482: “Grand Opening, Part 2”)
- At one point in her relationship with Mitch, she dyed her hair "raspberry chestnut," which turns out purple. (#483: “Secrets”) Eugene said (sarcastically) that it was "an improvement". (#610: “Hear Me, Hear Me”)
- Her favorite sweater is the yellow one she was wearing when she met Robert Mitchell. (#610: “Hear Me, Hear Me”, #463: “Green Eyes and Yellow Tulips”)
- She is not good at tennis and ended up hitting Mitch in the face with her racquet. She was, however, the fourth-grade table tennis champion. (#483: “Secrets”)
- She is left handed. (#483: “Secrets”)
- She has a fear of staplers. (#485: “Plan B, Part 2: Collision Course”, #602: “Mum’s the Word”, (#610: “Hear Me, Hear Me”)
- Her favourite kind of tea is peppermint. (#495: “The Unraveling”)
- She and Eugene were camp rivals when they were kids, despite not meeting each other. (“The Champ of the Camp”)
- She wears a size 6 in pants. (#610: “Hear Me, Hear Me”)
- Her favorite food is cookie dough. (#610: “Hear Me, Hear Me”)
- She has a habit of "testing ice cream for freezer burns". (#610: “Hear Me, Hear Me”)
- She is allergic to walnuts. (#610: “Hear Me, Hear Me”)
- She is always misplacing her cell phone. (#675: “A Thankstaking Story”)
- She hates raspberry soda. (#692: “A Penny Saved”)
- She and Penny share an apartment. (#692: “A Penny Saved”, #697: “A Penny Earned”)
- She likes bowling, but isn't very good at it. She had a record of 24 at one time.
- Her exact age (it takes 2.8 yrs to equal one year for Connie) is 24 as of 12-27-06 (from the Official Podcast).
- At one point in her relationship with Mitch, she made sandwiches that were too large to hold together and stuck toothpicks in them to keep them from falling apart; unfortunately, she forgot to tell him about the toothpicks before he bit into the sandwich.
- She was said to have uneven nostrils by the representatives of the Emperial Modeling Agency. (#544: “Split Ends”)
- She is 5 feet 9 inches tall.
- She has green eyes.
- Though her signature color is green, her favorite color is blue.
- She has her own newsletter. (#610: “Hear Me, Hear Me”)
- In the Spanish version of Adventures in Odyssey, Connie comes from Mexico City instead of Los Angeles, California.
- She loves bacon. #737: “The Pilot, Part 1”
- She once tried to create a stained glass effect on her bedroom skylight with magic markers. #736: “Life Expectancy, Part 3”
- She is good at replicating artwork. (The Green Ring Conspiracy)
- She once planned to start a bejeweling business called Creations By Connie. #696: “You're Two Kind” Though, since Connie's bejeweling habit was part of a test for Eugene, she may not have really been sincere about Creations By Connie.
- She used to read the horoscope before she became a Christian. (that believe it or not, lead to the creation of the Bible Room.) (#24: “Gotcha!” and #266: “It Began With a Rabbit's Foot”)
Connie has appeared on the back cover of the following albums:
- Album 24: Risks and Rewards
- Album 28: Welcome Home!
- Album 49: The Sky’s the Limit
- Album 53: The Green Ring Conspiracy
See Kendall quotes.
As seen in Album 49: The Sky's the Limit
Connie in Odyssey Sings!
From Album 31
From Album 51
From Album 34
Connie running B-TV.
Connie at the New Year's Eve Live Show
Connie holding on tight as she attempts to teach Eugene to drive.
Connie chasing the car that took Mitch.