Wooton's Broken Pencil Show
Connie is doing a fairly normal Kids' Radio show in a broom closet while the studio is under construction. The show is starting off just fine until Wooton Bassett comes in to tell Connie, her car alarm is going of and the keys are in her car, locked up tight.
Captain Absolutely finds himself tricked by Thug Clockripper, a pro wrestling manager, as he is about to get rid of points. Soon entertainment will have no point at all and everything will be mindless and pointless until Captain Absolutely out wits him and saves the day.
Meanwhile, Red Hollard has broken into Connie's car with a brick to get her keys - to find that Eugene had them the whole time!
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- There are no discussion questions listed for this episode. »
VERSION DIFFERENCE: [view]
- In the first airing and the release of this episode, Wooton is reading the actors, and the characters they play, and comes to "...And Jess Harnell as-! No, that can't be right." In subsequent airings, he simply says, "Our cast included...Andre Stojka, and Jess Harnell. Never heard of that guy!"
- On the album back cover of Album 52 the theme of the episode is "???". Of course the real theme is "Entertainment should have a point".
- This theme (Entertainment should have a point) was introduced in The Truth Chronicles episode #TTC04: “Three in One”, in Connie's conversation with Nigel Odian, but not fully explored till now. Additionally, this episode also brought back a few other elements not heard since #TTC04: “Three in One”, including Eugene's TV/Radio show Science by Design, and Wooton's comic book character Captain Absolutely.
- This was the first episode in the audio series to feature Captain Absolutely, who replaced Power Boy as Wooton's regular comic book character on Adventures in Odyssey.
- In this episode, someone other than Chris wrapped up the show. This has happened in only a few other episodes including, #150: “Home Is Where the Hurt Is” #211: “The Mortal Coil, Part 1” #435: “A Look Back, Part 1”, #436: “A Look Back, Part 2” and #631: “A Capsule Comes to Town”. (This is also the first episode in which that "someone" is an actual character on the show.) However, in a later episode, #701: “Unbecoming Jay”, Jay wraps up the show.
- Wooton says "siege at Whit's End!" as he plays the 'dramatic news insert'. This may be a reference to #292: “Siege at Jericho”, because the 'dramatic news insert' music was also used in that same episode.
- Harlow's Society for the Prevention of Defamation to Animals is probably an allusion to the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
- The astronaut in the space station uses the famous line "Houston, we have a problem", an erroneous quote of a phrase said during the real-life Apollo 13 mission which was used in the movie adaptation of the event.
QuotesConnie Kendall: I'm here with Red Hollard, who is a registered locksmith...
Red Hollard: ...So I'm going to break into your car to get your keys, so you can turn that alarm off.
Connie Kendall: Sounds great! And how are you going to do break into the car. I assume you have one of those long car breaker-into things like they use on TV where you slide it down along the window and pull up on the lock mechanism?
Red Hollard: Uh, no. I wish I had one of those car breaker-into things.
Connie Kendall: Oh, then what are you going to use?
Red Hollard: This brick!!
Captain Absolutely: I know the significance of a particular spot 3 inches down from his left arm-pit.
Thug Clockripper: Oh?!
Captain Absolutely: It's where he's most ticklish!
Thug Clockripper: With the push of this button on my remote control a giant projectile pencil will be launched at the giant balloon. And the deed will be done. Ready? Just say the magic word.
Captain Absolutely: STOP!!
Thug Clockripper: That's the one!
Wooton Bassett: Our cast included Will Ryan as Eugene, Katie Leigh as Connie, Andre Stojka as Whit, and Jess Harnell as... No, that can't be right.
Wooton Bassett: So what do you think of car alarms, Harlow?
Harlow Doyle: I don't belong to that group.
Wooton Bassett: Wait! Back to our dramatic news insert! <News insert music plays> Siege at Whit's End!
Harlow Doyle: Hello! Harlow Doyle Here!
Wooton Bassett: Hi, Harlow Doyle Here!