Living in the Gray, Part 2
(Continued from #535: “Living in the Gray, Part 1”)...
Connie soon learns that Jimmy has lost his job at Society Scandal and has been sleeping in a park! She urges him to go with George to the men’s rally, but he backs out. Before Connie can say another word about him and his dad, Jimmy notes that she too is avoiding the hard questions...she doesn't want to go back in Odyssey and face questions about Mitch.
Responding to the love of both God and their friends, Jimmy and Connie return to their simpler lives.
For Jimmy, that means catching his dad at the airport and owning up to his mistakes. For Connie, it’s back to Odyssey!
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- Was Jimmy right to hide his failures from his parents?
- Why or why not?
- How did George show Jimmy that he cared about him?
- Jimmy found that God and his family still loved him despite his mistakes. When you mess up, what do you feel?
Heard in episode
|Airport Employee||Jim Custer|
|Connie Kendall||Katie Leigh|
|Felicia Danson||Kat Cressida|
|Mr. Gardner||Jim Custer|
|George Barclay||Chuck Bolte|
|Jimmy Barclay||David Griffin|
Mentioned in episode
|Janelle Bourland||Connie Kendall|
|Peter Bourland||Connie Kendall|
|Donna Barclay||Jimmy Barclay|
|Robert Mitchell||Jimmy Barclay|
|John Whittaker||Jimmy Barclay|
|Mary Barclay||George Barclay|
- George and Jimmy Barclay reminisce about the events of #57: “The Prodigal, Jimmy” in this episode.
- This episode marks George's second visit to Washington, D.C. He previously visited in #140: “The Vow”.
- Jimmy tells Connie in this episode that he slept in real-life Rock Creek Park.
- Jimmy and Connie also visit the real-life observation deck of the Washington Monument and discuss various landmarks that they see.
- Listen carefully: Katie Leigh seems to have been suffering from a cold during the recording of this episode. Her voice was similarly affected in the episode #195: “Father's Day”.
QuotesMr. Gardner: I fired him.
Connie Kendall: Why?
Mr. Gardner: None of your business.
Connie Kendall: Where did he go?
Mr. Gardner: None of my business. Bye.
Jimmy Barclay: He told me he was proud of me!
Connie Kendall: What?
Jimmy Barclay: He told me how proud he was that I was in college and had a good job and a bright future! Now how am I supposed to disappoint him? It's not like I've gotten tons of "I'm proud of you"s lately! Y'know, Donna gets 'em all the time! She's the perfect daughter, while I'm his unemployed homeless loser son!
Jimmy Barclay: Weird denial? Oh, come on, look who's talking about weird denial!
Connie Kendall: What?
Jimmy Barclay: What are you doing here, Connie? Why are you still here and not back in Odyssey?
Connie Kendall: I wanted to see the sights.
Jimmy Barclay: Yeah, sure. You just want to avoid the questions about Mitch. You said so yourself, right?
Connie Kendall: Yeah, something like that.
Jimmy Barclay: Yeah. You don't want to face up to the mess. You don't want anyone to know that it all went wrong. You're not ready. So how come you can't understand how I feel?
Connie Kendall: ...I understand.
George Barclay: Son, you didn't spend all your money on Zapazoids again, did you?