The Ties That Bind, Part 1
It’s a time of surprises as Wooton becomes the celebrity guest at Comic-Connellsville - and encounters an unexpected visitor. Whit finds himself in conflict with Rhonda Adelaide over the upcoming “Let’s Get Together Festival” in Odyssey.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
1. According to Pastor Juan, how did Buck's life take a wrong turn that led him to criminal activities? How is Buck doing now? What are the benefits of a stable home?
2. Is God calling you to forgive someone who has hurt you? How can we help people like Buck who have made a mess of their lives? Why does Buck deserve a second chance?
3. Why did Whit ask questions rather than put up the poster for the Let’s Get Together festival? Tell me what you think the words inclusivity and tolerance mean. What is right—and wrong—about inclusivity and tolerance? Do you agree with Whit’s conclusion?
4. What is Rhonda Adelaide’s attitude toward the Bible? Do you know people who feel the same way? What can you say to them?
5. How do you define a family? Do you know any families that are different from your definition? How are they different?
- This is a main episode in The Ties That Bind (Saga).
- This is the first episode in which Matthew Parker is voiced by Gunnar Sizemore rather than Zach Callison.
- Although in this episode Whit entertains (or at least hears an argument for) the idea of hanging a poster in Whit's End, twenty-two years earlier in #203: “Double Trouble” he had a policy against hanging posters in the shop.
- This episode was released early on the Adventures in Odyssey Podcast.
- This episode references the TV show Twin Peaks, in which Kimmy Robertson starred.
- The Parker family is, as of this episode, the only Odyssey family to have three kids each voiced by two different actors/actresses.
- The name of Wooton Bassett's cousin is Hadley Bassett. This could be a reference to a character, Hadley, in Lamplighter Theatre's production "A Candle in the Window", in which both Jess Harnell and Cullen McCarthy have lead roles.
QuotesMatthew Parker: Will Miss Adelaide get you into trouble for not hanging the posters? Is there some kind of detention for business owners?
Wooton Bassett: It's better for me not to say. The ears have walls.
Jules Kendall: What are you guys doing here?
Penny Wise: Wooton is into all this comic stuff, and I'm into stuff that Wooton is into.
Wooton Bassett: Aw, Penny, that's sweet.
Wooton Bassett: The Perilous Pen is in everywhere!
Connie Kendall: I have enough comic characters in my life already, Wooton.
Wooton Bassett: There's no such thing!