Unsure of whether or not she's a good Christian, Aubrey enlists the help of an old friend who tries to show Aubrey what she needs to do.
For Aubrey Shepard, it’s another day of fixing pipes with her dad until she finds that Seth Young has moved to Odyssey. Seth is an old friend from camp and Aubrey can’t wait to see him. When she visits, however, both Seth and his mother Cherry are very eccentric. Cherry is obsessed with auras and nature and Seth seems to completely change his personality when he’s around different people. Aubrey is confused until Seth explains as they’re walking around town. He is using “universal evangelism” to become like different people. He reasons that by communicating with people on their level, he’ll be able to tell them about God. Seth seems to have it all together as a Christian and even proves it by using his technique on the spot. Seth urges Aubrey to stop wasting her time and find a “future focus.”
At Whit’s End, Aubrey tries to ask Connie indirectly about using her time wisely and finding a way to be used by God, but only ends up offending her. Aubrey is determined to find a way on her own, but only ends up with disaster after disaster. She finally heads home, depressed and soaked. Bethany meets her at the door to tell her that her dad is working on plumbing again. It’s the last straw. Aubrey questions why her dad is working here instead of doing something important. Bethany responds that Ben is here to help people and he couldn’t do that somewhere else. Ben agrees and says that even though it sometimes seems like he’s stumbling through life, when he’s looking back he’s sees God’s purpose in all that’s happening. He tells her that God can use her at Whit’s End or the White House.
Later, Aubrey stops by Whit’s End to apologize to Connie for the misunderstanding and finds that the garbage disposal at Whit’s End is acting up. Aubrey sees this as her opportunity to finally make a difference.
- What is “universal evangelism,” according to Seth?
- Do you think it’s a good idea?
- Why or why not?
- Ben told Aubrey that he often didn’t see the logic of his life until he looked back. What are some things in your life that could be preparing you for something in the future?
- How could some of your classes at school help you make a difference for God?
- For example, social studies could help you learn about other parts of the world where you could take a mission trip. Think of at least three more.
- It took Aubrey a while to find something that she could do for God. What are some things that you are doing for God?
- What are some things you can try?
|Aubrey Shepard||Danielle Judovits|
|Ben Shepard||Jerry Houser|
|Bethany Shepard||Sara Pilgreen|
|Cherry Young||Deborah Marlowe|
|Connie Kendall||Katie Leigh|
|Seth Young||Robin Knight|
|Mrs. Westra||Noel McGraff|
QuotesConnie Kendall: Yo kids, it's ministry time!
Aubrey Shepard: What should I do with this silly robe? Should it be wet or dry?! <rain begins to pour> Thank you.