The Ties That Bind, Part 5
Mysteries are solved and new ones begin as Connie discovers what's inside the old trunk, and Detective Polehaus investigates the vandalism to Whit's End. Mrs Adelaide give Emily and Matthew a difficult assignment. A 'newcomer' to Odyssey has to cope with tension at school. Jay is determined to get back up for a trip to Hangman's Hollow. And Wooton finds his life complicated by the notorious Perilous Pen.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
1. Read Matthew 5:38-39 aloud. What did Jesus mean about “turning the other cheek”? How is Whit doing that with the Vigilantors?
2. How did the other kids react to Buck when he showed up at Odyssey Middle School? How would you react? How would Jesus want you to treat Buck? Does forgiving someone also mean we should trust that person? Why or why not?
3. Do you have any teachers at school like Rhonda Adelaide, who seem to be teaching things you don’t agree with? What should you do? What will you do if a school assignment goes against your beliefs?
4. Do you have any idea what might be bothering Jules about the trunk full of old school papers that June left for Connie?
- This is a main episode in The Ties That Bind (Saga).
- When Wooton and Penny find Hadley injured at Wooton's house and Wooton tells Penny to call 911, Hadley tells him not to because it's "just a flesh wound". The quote references the famous Black Knight scene in the movie Monty Python and the Holy Grail, in which the Black Knight has both of his arms cut off and declares that this will not impede his fighting ability because the injury is "just a flesh wound".
- When Buck first walks up to Emily, Matthew, and Jay and asks for forgiveness, he also asks Matthew and Emily where locker 141 is. 141 is what Emily's locker number is in #722: “The Lost Riddle”.
QuotesWooton Bassett: Well, to brainstorm would mean I'd have to get into somebody else's head, which would make me feel claustrophobic, or somebody else getting into my head, which would not only be unnerving, but could also cause some serious motion sickness.
Miss Adelaide: Would you like to hang up a poster for the festival in the police station?
Don Polehaus: That's not my department. Uh-oh—does that mean the station is going to get hammered with paint balloons?
Miss Adelaide: I've seen the police station. It could use the color.
Wooton Bassett: Penny, quick! Call 911!
Penny Wise: Okay! What's the number?