Gentle River Park seems the perfect place for Connie and Joanne to stop and have a scenic breakfast. Until, that is, Connie slips and falls into the not-so-gentle current! A stranger hears her struggling; he rescues her and quickly leaves. Back at their hotel, the two ladies learn why from a news flash: the stranger is a bank robber.
Connie and Joanne go to the police, who tell them that Vic Hamilton first committed robbery in high school – then, he quit committing crime, after his younger brother was killed in a car chase. His recent robbery was inexplicable, and Vic maintains that bank teller named Brad Diamond framed him. Connie and Joanne stood in the station in disbelief. However, Connie runs into Vic again. Afraid that she'll turn him in, Vic kidnaps her! Despite her situation, Connie gets Vic to tell her his side of the events.
Eventually, Connie arrives at the police station again where they still won’t buy Vic’s story. Connie decides that she must prove he's innocent. Wilda, a birdwatcher, becomes their best chance. She has a videotape of Vic and Brad meeting at the park. But they may be too late: the police say Vic has been spotted out on the lake attempting to get revenge on Brad! Via radio to Brad’s boat, Connie is able to stop Vic before he does anything drastic. Vic’s case will be re-tried, but more importantly he knows he must change.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- How did the death of Vic’s brother change him?
- Why did Connie care so much about Vic’s situation?
- What would you have done if you were Connie?
- Think about a time when you were treated wrongly. Did you get revenge?
- What is the right thing to do?
Heard in episode
|Brad Diamond||Dale Inghram|
|Connie Kendall||Katie Leigh|
|Gift Store Clerk||Unknown|
|Joanne Woodston-Allen||Janet Waldo|
|Officer Tim Hartzel||William Holmes|
|Vic Hamilton||Gary Clemmer|
|Wilda Murphy||Shirley Mitchell|
- The audio from this episode's scene when Connie falls in the river uses the sound-design technique first devised for the flash-flood scene in #388: “Leap of Faith”.
- This episode bears some interesting similarities to #155: “Waylaid in the Windy City, Part 1”. In both episodes Connie recognizes someone she had met earlier in the episode (Vic Hamilton here, Gregory Kelley previously) as a wanted criminal from a TV announcement, before being ultimately kidnapped.
- This episode takes place away from Odyssey: Episodes That Take Place Away from Odyssey.
- The gift shop employee mentions the famous John Denver song "Take Me Home, Country Roads" as well as the Al Green song "Take Me to the River".
QuotesConnie Kendall: I can't believe you like this gift shop junk.
Joanne Woodston-Allen: Not me, it's Jack. The tackier the better.
Gift Store Clerk: Have you checked out our invisible dog leashes?
Connie Kendall: No, thank you.