Truth, Trivia and 'Trina
It’s a typical afternoon at Whit’s End, Eugene and Connie are at each other’s throats again. This time, they’re arguing over several disparaging inferences Eugene has made about Connie’s intellect. Their disagreement is so intense that both of them get suckered into Bart Rathbone’s latest scheme, a game show called “Truth and Trivia”, sponsored by the Electric Palace. Connie wants to prove to Eugene, on television, that she is no dummy.
Both Connie and Eugene start studying. Connie uses the library at Whit’s End. Eugene goes to the library at Campbell County Community College, where he meets a pretty young lady named Katrina Shanks. She is working at the library. Eugene quickly realizes that Katrina is equally as smart as himself. Eugene is intrigued by this gray-eyed beauty and tries to spend as much time with her as possible, even inviting her to the game show.
Katrina shows up, but not as a spectator. She’s also a contestant! The race has begun! Connie does surprisingly well and earns Eugene’s respect. During a commercial break, Eugene learns that Katrina entered the show in order to win money she needs for tuition. In an effort to secure Katrina's victory (and possibly her affections) he begins to throw the game by deliberately answering questions incorrectly. Katrina realizes this and reprimands Eugene. She is insulted that he doesn't think she can win on her own, and demands that he "play right". Eugene consents to play to the best of his ability. Bart asks Eugene the final question: “What color are Katrina’s eyes?”
Eugene stammers, then answers, “Brown.”
But he’s wrong. Katrina’s eyes are gray. Bart then asks Katrina about Eugene’s eyes.
Without hesitation, she answers, “Periwinkle blue.”
Katrina is right. She wins the contest, and Eugene realizes he doesn’t have to try so hard to impress everybody with his intellect.
- Why did Eugene think Connie wasn’t very intelligent?
- Was he right?
- Why was Connie so eager to prove that she wasn’t dumb?
- There are many ways that people can be intelligent. Can you name some?
- What are some ways in which you are smart?
|Bart Rathbone||Walker Edmiston|
|Connie Kendall||Katie Leigh|
|Eugene Meltsner||Will Ryan|
|John Whittaker||Hal Smith|
|Katrina Shanks||Pamela Hayden|
- This episode introduces Katrina Shanks, Eugene's future wife.
- Amusingly enough, in every picture AIO has ever put out of Eugene until 2010, his eyes are covered by his mop of orange hair. However, Katrina Shanks has no problem at all in remembering that his eyes are "periwinkle blue."
- Although in this episode Katrina claims that her friends usually call her 'Trina, this episode and #260: “Naturally, I Assumed...” are the only ones in which any one uses this nickname. Afterward people have called her either Katrina, Miss Shanks, or Mrs. Meltsner.
- This episode marks the final time that Hal Smith and Walker Edmiston would interact with each other on the program (not counting the flashback scenes in #266: “It Began With a Rabbit's Foot”). Although the two would both appear together in several more episodes before Smith's passing early the following year, the two would never share a scene again.
QuotesEugene Meltsner: You're playing well, Katrina.
Katrina Shanks: You're not so bad yourself.
Bart Rathbone: The tension's so great, you could comb your hair with it!
Bart Rathbone: Name one international bird that is known to bark like a dog. Do you know?
Eugene Meltsner: Well, who wouldn't know? The Senegal Finfoot.
Bart Rathbone: You're absatively correct!
Bart Rathbone: Look at me — I'm pesperating here!