Harley Takes the Case, Part 1
It's carnival time in Odyssey, and young Steve Larson is missing. Officer Harley gets the call from the chief, and immediately, the good officer goes to Steve's house and interviews his father, Al Larson. Al is impatient and thinks that Harley isn't doing enough to find Steve. When Harley suggests that Steve might have run away, Al gets angry and walks off to the woods, where Steve was last seen going to softball practice that morning. Harley then makes his way over to Jay Brandt's house. Jay, Steve's best friend, mentions that Steve skipped out on softball practice because he hates the game, so there's no use looking for Steve around there.
After that, Harley talks to old Mr. Webster, who saw Steve heading for the woods carrying a bat, a glove, and a knapsack. Harley goes to search the woods and runs into Al again. Harley updates Al and again says that Steve might have run away. Al refuses to listen. Then, a neighbor runs up, saying he's searched the woods all the way out to Gower's Field, and there's nothing there but a rusted-out tractor and an old barn. Just then, Harley gets a static-filled call from the chief on his walkie-talkie. Someone thinks they saw Steve at the carnival. The chief tells Harley to finish what he's doing and join the rest of the searchers there. Al overhears this and tells everyone to head over to the carnival. Everyone leaves - except Harley. He continues to search the woods, trying to imagine he's a young boy running away. His method works: near Gower's Field, Harley finds Steve's abandoned bat and glove. Harley suspects that Steve is in the old barn.
Inside the barn, Harley finds a raccoon eating a cupcake. Harley, confident that Steve is there, calls out to him. Steve finally answers from the loft, saying he wants to be left alone. Harley pleads with Steve to come out of the barn. It's a dangerous place - so old, a sneeze could blow it over. Steve refuses, so Harley starts to climb to the loft. Suddenly, the barn creaks, shudders, then collapses on both of them.
- Why did Steve run away?
- The Bible tells us to honor our parents. Why was it dishonoring to Steve's parents when he ran away?
- How could you help a friend who is determined to run away?
|Al Larson||Alan Bergmann|
|Bill Smithson||Earl Boen|
|Connie Kendall||Katie Leigh|
|David Harley||Will Ryan|
|Jay Brandt||Joseph Cammaroto|
|John Whittaker||Hal Smith|
|Steve Larson||David Griffin|
|Mr. Webster||Bob Luttrell|
- This episode was later remade as #121: “Missing Person”, with Rodney Rathbone replacing Steve Larson and Isaac Morton replacing Officer Harley.
- Joseph Cammaroto makes his AIO acting debut in this episode. He would go on to portray recurring supporting character Oscar Peterson.
- It is possible that the carnival in this episode is Uncle Archie's Carnival.
- This episode is only available to members of the Adventures in Odyssey Club.
- There are no quotes listed for this episode. ».