Push the Red Button (Live)
Additional Summary: The Adventures in Odyssey Birthday Bash celebrated 25 years of wonder, excitement and discovery. Nearly five thousand fans attended a June 2012 live performance in Dallas, Texas! Download the fun as you experience the full performance with the Adventures in Odyssey cast.
Note: This is the live version, which is longer than #726: “Push the Red Button” and contains many differences.
At Whit's End, Eugene Meltsner is working on a program in the control room. John Whittaker (Whit) enters the room and Eugene tells Whit about a Merge Program. Whit reminds Eugene that they decided to keep all the programs separate so that if there was a glitch or virus it wouldn't affect the whole building. Eugene simply explains to Whit that "nothing can go wrong" since Eugene developed it. Matthew Parker enters and Whit explains that Matthew is doing a project in school about computer systems and Whit wanted him to see this one first hand. Whit leaves them to attend other business in the shop.
Penny Wise and Connie Kendall enter, and Penny asks Whit what he does for inspiration. Whit suggests Penny take a trip in the Imagination Station (IS), and Connie decides to go with her. Wooton Bassett enters and Whit stops him. Wooton explains that Eugene was going to help him with a Captain Absolutely adventure, but Whit tells Wooton that Eugene is busy, so he would help Wooton.
Connie and Penny, visit Michelangelo in the Sistine Chapel and Penny is amazed. Penny asks where he gets his inspiration. His reply is that he gets it from God and his word.
In the KYDS radio studio, Whit and Wooton begin work on recording a Captain Absolutely episode. In this adventure, Captain Absolutely is put head to head against Lord Gargantuan Foulspleen. Foulspleen is ruining everything that resembles beauty, goodness, and truth with his ultra-defilatron. Captain Absolutely battles Foulspleen.
In the control room, Eugene and Matthew are discussing a specific button on the keyboard. Eugene accidentally presses the button and engages the merge program prematurely.
Meanwhile in the KYDS radio studio, things begin to get weird. Foulspleen disappears, and Wooton can't return to his Wooton voice. Captain Absolutely disappears from the studio.
Foulspleen was sent to the IS and ends up meeting with Connie and Penny. He takes his ultra-defilatron and ruins the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Foulspleen plots to go throughout history and destroy every goodness, truth, and beauty that ever existed.
Eugene tries to figure out what to do, but he doesn't know what to do. Captain Absolutely talks with Whit and Eugene and they see that the Kids' Radio Studio is merging with the IS. Eugene goes to get a lock on everyone in the IS, while Whit tries to un-merge the programs.
Foulspleen finishes destroying the Sistine Chapel, and moves on to other pieces of beauty, truth, and goodness, such as the Eiffel Tower. Whit and Eugene pull Connie and Penny out of the IS. They ask them to think of places of truth, goodness, and beauty. Foulspleen continue traveling through history, and then Whit's End begins falling apart. Whit comes to the conclusion that Whit's End was built upon his belief in God's truth, goodness, and beauty. Since Foulspleen is destroying all that from history, he's also destroying Whit's End in the process. Matthew comes up with an idea; if they can create something beautiful at Whit's End, they could lure Foulspleen to them. They encourage Penny to try to paint something. She prays for inspiration.
Captain Absolutely has been passing through the worst moments in history, due to being shot with the ultra-defilatron. Whit, Matthew and Eugene encourage him to imagine himself back at Whit's End so he will hopefully return. Their idea works. Captain Absolutely goes to defeat Foulspleen, while Whit and Eugene go to work on something else. Foulspleen returns to destroy Penny's masterpiece. Captain Absolutely states that truth, goodness, and beauty will always exist as long as God is around. Foulspleen's invention backfires, and he becomes beautiful due to Whit's quick thinking. And thus, Captain Absolutely defeats the evil Foulspleen. Matthew suggests that all the computer needs is a good hard kick to fix everything. Matthew does so, and... the town of Odyssey explodes! Chris Anthony makes an unusual outro to the episode, but then...
Wooton finishes his telling of the dream he had the night before. Eugene enters proclaiming that he just finished a master merge program, and everyone leaves. Eugene is puzzled as to what just happened.
- There are no discussion questions listed for this episode. »
- This episode is a the live version of #726: “Push the Red Button”, the last episode in Album 56: The Grand Design.
- Over 4000 people total attended the two sold-out performances.
- Each performance was followed by a 15 minute Q&A with the actors. After this, the cast and crew generously gave several hours of their time to sign autographs.
- The day before the live show, some of the Odyssey cast and crew met with fans at a Mardel's Christian bookstore in the Dallas area. Paul McCusker, Will Ryan, Katie Leigh, Chris Anthony, and Zach Callison signed autographs and answered fans questions in a discussion hosted by a local KCBI radio show host.
- The night before the show, some members of The Town of Odyssey Message Board met at a Dallas hotel to chat, re-enact scripts, and play games. OdysseyFan hosted and provided decorations and prizes. (See Facebook Photos)
- The full live show was streamed online on November 3rd, 2012, during the Get in the Show! live event.
- This episode is available on the Actor's Picks in May 2013 as a bonus feature, on a bonus DVD video.
- Jason Whittaker refers to The Mortal Coil, Part 2.
- This episode can be downloaded for free here: 
- Read an article by someone who was at the Live Show!
- Read an article by somebody else who was there!
- See footage from the live recording of this episode in Dallas, Texas.
Additional credits for this episode include:
- Production Coordinator: Evan Reedall
- Event Manager: Erin Berriman
- Event Coordinator: Melissa Dahm
- Volunteers Coordinator: Melinda Debold
- Focus on the Family Crew: Dan Brown, Nina Coppola, Brock Eastman, Jesse Florea, Erin Haft, Carrie Kintz, Brian Kuiper, Jim Levy, Jim Mhoon, Bob Smithouser, Greg Watterworth, Ken Windebank
- Other help included hosts and staff from Irving Bible Church, as well as additional event volunteers.
Eugene Meltsner: Matthew, think it through. What would happen if the button is not properly programmed, and I simply pushed like this, <pushes button> and we discovered it would wreck havoc in the entire system?
Wooton Bassett: The adventures of Captain Absolutely! Defender of Truth, Justice, and a lot more truuuuuuuuuuuuth!!!!!
Wooton Bassett: I'm as ready as a totally unprepared person could ever be!
Captain Absolutely: Mr. Whittaker? Mr. Whittaker! I'm sorry, I can't seem to get back to my Wooton voice!
Penny Wise: Wooton, can I ask you a question?
Wooton Bassett: Penny, if it's "will you marry me?", then it's a yes. If it's "would you like to perform an emergency appendectomy on me?", then it's a no.
Penny Wise: It's not either.
Wooton Bassett: Oh, that's too bad. I've never gotten to refuse performing an emergency appendectomy on someone.
Matthew Parker: The Eiffel Tower is gone? Does that mean I won't have to go to French class anymore?
Jason Whittaker: Look, I don't mean to complain, but I was in the archive room, and the old episodes just keep falling off the shelves, and I just got hit on the head with part 2 of The Mortal Coil, and you know, Jason didn't even sound like me!
John Whittaker: And I didn't sound like me either, come to think of it!