Our Best Vacation Ever
The Barclays take the best vacation they've ever had-without leaving Odyssey!
Summer is vacation time - for everyone except the Barclays. Mary Barclay has reviewed the family budget, and there isn't enough money to go anywhere. The family isn't too happy about the prospect of not having a vacation.
The next day, George stops in at Whit's End. He relays the depressing news to Whit, who suggests that the Barclays don't have to go anywhere to have a good time. They can have fun right there in Odyssey. George likes the idea and rushes home to tell the family. At first, they aren't sure about Whit's suggestion, but then they decide that it's better than sitting around feeling sorry for themselves. They decide to look for opportunities to have fun.
Those opportunities start the next morning when Jimmy accidentally squirts his dad with a sprinkler, which leads to a massive water fight. The rest of the week is spent in low-cost, but fun, activities. The Barclays visit the zoo, take a trip to Trickle Lake, go camping (in the Barclay living room, no less), and attend an old-fashioned barn raising at the Riley farm.
The Barclays have a wonderful time. They learn that a little creativity - and a lot of family togetherness - has given them their best vacation ever!
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- George said that what makes vacations fun is not what you do, but who you’re with. Do you agree or disagree?
- What are some of the most creative activities you’ve done, without having a lot of money?
- Have you had any memorable family vacations?
- Why were they memorable?
Heard in episode
|George Barclay||Chuck Bolte|
|Mary Barclay||Patti Parris|
|Jimmy Barclay||David Griffin|
|Donna Barclay||Azure Janosky|
|John Whittaker||Hal Smith|
|Lucy Cunningham-Shultz||Genni Long|
- The water fight in this episode was originally a food fight. This was changed because the writers felt that wasting food wasn't a great idea.
- After this episode aired, many families who tuned in reportedly took their own vacations in their home towns.
- This episode introduced the WOD-FAM-CHOC-SOD, one of the signature drinks at Whit's End.
- This episode introduces the third voice actor to portray Mary Barclay, who would last until #219: “Treasures of the Heart”.
- The ending of this episode features the rebuilding of Tom Riley's barn, which was burnt down in #78: “The Nemesis, Part 2”.
- The ski trip the Barclays are saving for occurs in #99: “The Barclay Family Ski Vacation”.
- Mary mentions Donna not wanting to go on a vacation, a reference to #31: “Family Vacation, Part 1”.
- Donna and Jimmy both mention going to camp, a reference to #74: “Connie Goes to Camp, Part 1”
- Mary Barclay says that George works with Hal Cunningham. In #299: “The Truth About Zachary”, Lucy says that her dad worked for The Odyssey Times but in #234: “Our Daily Bread”, George tries to get a job at The Odyssey Times and is turned down. A possible solution is that the Times was only a part-time job for Hal.
- Read the whole Lucy goof here.
- Though she is supposed to be on vacation at the time, Lucy's voice can be heard in the background when George and Whit are talking.
QuotesDonna Barclay: The budget?! It's always the budget! We haven't been able to do anything since we got that stupid budget!
Jimmy Barclay: Told you she'd go nuts.
Mary Barclay: Well then, we'll just have to be very gentle when we tell her.
Donna Barclay: Tell who what?
Mary Barclay: Oh, hi honey!
Donna Barclay: Hi! What's going on?
Mary Barclay: Well, I'm afraid I have some bad news for you-
Jimmy Barclay: Yeah we aren't going anywhere on vacation this summer.
Donna Barclay: What?!?
Mary Barclay: That's your idea of gentle, Jimmy?
Jimmy Barclay: You can't beat around the bush about this stuff, Mom. It's best to get it over with quickly.
George Barclay: Now let that be a lesson to you kids: always leave your campsite cleaner then when you found it!
Donna Barclay: This is so weird!
George Barclay: What? What's the matter?
Donna Barclay: We're in our living room, Dad!