The Launch, Part 1
“The Launch, Part 1,” an Adventures in Odyssey Club exclusive, is episode #739 of the Adventures in Odyssey audio series. It was written and directed by Dave Arnold, and was originally released on January 1, 2014.
Whit and Wooton travel to Uganda to help a young woman caught in a conflict between two warring tribes.
- What have you learned about the country of Uganda?
- What were the two different tribes fighting over and why did they continue to disagree?
- Have you ever desired something so much that you were willing to disappoint or hurt others to have it? Talk about that experience and what you learned from it.
- In order to make peace with someone, what needs to happen?
- What is one thing you can always do when you’re afraid?
- Take some time to pray for the people in Uganda.
Heard in episode
|John Whittaker||Andre Stojka|
|Wooton Bassett||Jess Harnell|
|Elizabeth Sparks||Stephanie Regio|
|Eugene Meltsner||Will Ryan|
|Connie Kendall||Katie Leigh|
|Documentary Narrator||Bob Smithouser|
Mentioned in episode
|Jeff Lewis||John Whittaker|
- The featured charity for this episode is CVM, or the Veterinary Mission.
- This two parter was inspired by the real life veterinarian missionary Dr. Val Lomilo.
- This episode can be heard from the OAC homepage, making it the first of three club-exclusive episodes to be released for listening to non-Club members- prior to #749: “The Drop Box” and #797: “A Predicament of Biblical Proportions”, respectively.
- This episode has significant connection to The Ties That Bind (Saga).
- This episode introduced Egghead, a new invention created by Eugene designed to replace the outdated Edu-Link.
- Connie, Eugene and Wooton say "Raiding and looting and shooting, oh my!"- a reference to the "Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!" chant from The Wizard of Oz.
- Wooton asks if CVM is the TV shopping channel - a reference to QVC.
Eugene Meltsner: Egghead, would you please define “intelligence”.
Egghead: Intelligence is the superior ability to acquire and apply knowledge. Notable people of intelligence include Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton, Plato, and Eugene Meltsner.
Connie Kendall: Oh, brother.
Eugene Meltsner: I didn’t program that! It’s informed through an artificial intelligence program!
Wooton Bassett: Someone once told me that I had artificial intelligence.
Connie Kendall: Maybe we should wait until I fix a few things [on the video]
Wooton Bassett: Oh! We can ask for changes? Sweet! I love doing that! Can you redo everything in a sepia tone?
Connie Kendall: You haven't even seen it yet!
Wooton Bassett: I love sepia.
Connie Kendall: See? This is an example of having too many cooks in the kitchen!
Eugene Meltsner: Since we're all here now, perhaps I might demonstrate a new invention for you?
Wooton Bassett: Ooh! Is it sepia tone?