For the Birds
Camilla Parker desperately wants a pet, but her family seems to suffer from the “Parker Family Pet Curse.” To prove her responsibility, Camilla takes care of a baby blue jay. Meanwhile, Eugene has his own run-in with some feathered foes – which leads to drastic action!
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- Caring for “Dexter” was a lot of work! Who helped Camilla care for her bird?
- What did Whit mean when he said that “curse” was a word we might use for things we don’t like?
- Camilla says that she learned responsibility isn’t easy. How have you seen that lesson in your life?
- How can you show responsibility?
VERSION DIFFERENCE: [view] The aired version does not include Camilla's prayer about ending "The Parker Family Pet Curse" over dinner, Or Chris's jokes like "I'm glad Eugene is finally flying free of his hairy bird-en!" Also, in the first release version, Matthew comments on the demise of the Parker goldfish, Spanky and Lester, saying, “I think they had a suicide pact.” Olivia laughs. The line was cut from future releases, for obvious reasons.
- Read a devotional thought about this show.
- To get the foley for Eugene's haircut Jonathan Crowe's wife came in and gave him a real haircut
- This episode is a reference to the Hitchcock film The Birds.
- There is also a Pixar short by the same name that was released in 2001.
- When cutting Eugene's hairConnie says, “Hair today” episode #523: “Here Today, Gone Tomorrow?, Part 1”.
- This episode also won an Avery Awards for Best Line of Dialogue.
- Wooton Bassett mentions Doctor Who in this episode.
- The Town of Odyssey Message Boards: Read
- The Odyssey Scoop: the Birds.htm Read
- Fans at The Odyssey Scoop: Read
QuotesCamilla Parker: Hi Eugene!
Eugene Meltsner: Oh, greetings Miss Parker!
Camilla Parker: Camilla!!..... What are you doing?
Eugene Meltsner: Doing?
Camilla Parker: You're just standing there in the middle of the park!
Eugene Meltsner: Oh, on the contrary! I'm not merely standing here: I'm basking in the glory of an exquisite day!
Camilla Parker: Wow! I never seen a bird do that before! It looked like it was aiming for your head!
Eugene Meltsner: Uh, Miss Parker take cover!...I've never tried out-running a bird before!!
David Parker: And who here remembers the goldfish?
Olivia, Matthew and Camilla: Oh! Spankie and Lester!
David Parker: Dead within six weeks.
Matthew Parker: I think they had a suicide pact.
Olivia Parker: Pickles, Pickles! That wasn't my fault! Mom sat on him!
Eva Parker: Well, what was he doing loose? And on the kitchen chair?
Matthew Parker: You called us all for dinner. He thought he was part of the family!
Matthew Parker: Hey, maybe Wooton knows.
Wooton Bassett: Wow! Well, I never did before, but there's a first time for everything. What is it?
Wooton Bassett: He was a Great Horned Owl named Doctor What.
David Parker: Doctor... what?
Wooton Bassett: Yeah, exactly. Doctor Who would have been a better name, but I think it’s trademarked.
Connie Kendall: Okay, here goes! <turns on razor> Hair today, gone tomorrow.
Eugene Meltsner: What?!
Connie Kendall: <snickers> Goodbye!
Camilla Parker: And [the bird] bit Eugene and now he may have bird rabies, but I think he's just hungry.
Eva Parker: Eugene’s hungry?