For the Birds
Camilla Parker desperately wants a pet, but her family seems to suffer from the “Parker Family Pet Curse.” To prove her responsibility, Camilla takes care of a baby blue jay. Meanwhile, Eugene has his own run-in with some feathered foes – which leads to drastic action!
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- Caring for “Dexter” was a lot of work! Who helped Camilla care for her bird?
- What did Whit mean when he said that “curse” was a word we might use for things we don’t like?
- Camilla says that she learned responsibility isn’t easy. How have you seen that lesson in your life?
- How can you show responsibility?
- VERSION DIFFERENCE: [view] The aired version does not include Camilla's prayer about ending "The Parker Family Pet Curse" over dinner, Chris's jokes ("I'm glad Eugene is finally flying free of his hairy bird-en!", etc.) or her skit with Dave Arnold. Also, in the first release version, Matthew comments on the demise of the Parker goldfish, Spanky and Lester, saying, “I think they had a suicide pact.” Olivia laughs. The line was cut from future releases.
- Read a devotional thought about this show.
- When cutting Eugene's hair Connie says, “Hair today”; this is a possible reference to the episode #523: “Here Today, Gone Tomorrow?, Part 1”.
- Eugene identifies the baby bird Camilla rescues as a blue jay. This places Odyssey within the natural habitat of blue jays.
- To get the foley for Eugene's haircut Jonathan Crowe's wife came in and gave him a real haircut
- Wooton Bassett mentions Doctor Who in this episode.
- Eugene's trouble with birds is probably an allusion to the Hitchcock film The Birds.
- There is a Pixar short by the same name that was released in 2000.
Camilla Parker: Hi Eugene!
Eugene Meltsner: Oh, greetings Miss Parker!
Camilla Parker: Camilla. What are you doing?
Eugene Meltsner: Doing?
Camilla Parker: You're just standing there in the middle of the park!
Eugene Meltsner: Oh, on the contrary! I'm not merely standing here: I'm basking in the glory of an exquisite day!
Camilla Parker: Wow! I never seen a bird do that before! It looked like it was aiming for your head!
Eugene Meltsner: Uh, Miss Parker take cover!...I've never tried out-running a bird before!!
Olivia Parker: Pickles, Pickles! That wasn't my fault! Mom sat on him!
Eva Parker: Well, what was he doing loose? And on the kitchen chair?
Matthew Parker: You called us all for dinner. He thought he was part of the family!