The Case of the Disappearing Hortons
No one has heard from Liz all week, including the school. So, Mandy goes to Liz’s house to see if she can see anything out of the ordinary. While there, she runs into Jared and the two of them knock on the door. When they discover that the door has been left open, they become suspicious. Jared claims that he thinks he saw Liz the day before in the backseat of a green car being driven by a big man. Jared and Mandy decide to talk to the men who live across the street in the retirement home, thinking they may have seen something. The men, Solly Mendelson and Irving Greenfarb, know the Horton family and Liz pretty well. When they hear that something may have happened to the Hortons, they want to help in the investigation. They have the idea that Novacom may be to blame.
Mandy and Jared go check out the place of business where Liz’s dad works. They discover that the building is empty and there is a truck filled with crates leaving the building. They follow the truck. When they have discovered that they just can’t keep up any more, they see the green car.
In the meantime, a woman is moving into the Horton’s house. She has lots of crates that she’s moving into the garage in the back of the house. She later gives Solly and Irving a note that she found in the house to give to Mandy, telling Mandy not to look for her. When Mandy, Jared, Solly, and Irving try to open the crates, the woman catches them. They find out that the crates are just filled with her stuff and that she’s only renting the house and the furniture.
After finding out that the Hortons were evicted from their house, Jared put the pieces together to discover the truth about Liz and her family and where they had been staying during the past week.
- What is the one thing that Liz takes with her to remind her of the good times?
- Who is the person that moves into the Horton’s house?
- What does she give to Solly and Irving that she finds in Liz’s room?
- Liz’s friends all came together to try to help her family out of a trying situation. Has God ever used you to help someone in need?
Heard in episode
|Guy Feldstein||Corey Burton|
|Irving Greenfarb||Corey Burton|
|Jared DeWhite||Brandon Gilberstadt|
|Liz Horton||Lauren Schaffel|
|Mandy Straussberg||Aria Curzon|
|Solly Mendelson||Reni Santoni|
Mentioned in episode
|Dale Horton||Liz Horton|
|Mrs. Horton||Liz Horton|
|John Whittaker||Liz Horton|
- The Horton's financial troubles are first referenced in #514: “Room Enough for Two” when it's mentioned that the family had to sell off their van due to financial difficulties.
- Liz's father's name is Dale Horton. Ironically, the president of Pensacola Christian College is Dale Horton. There may or may not be a correlation.
- This was the first episode title since #249: “The Case of the Delinquent Disciples” to begin with "The Case of the..."
QuotesJared DeWhite: Maybe too normal. Just like when the witness protection people took me out of my house. Everything's nice and neat. Man!
Mandy Straussberg: What?
Jared DeWhite: It's happening again.
Jared DeWhite: We can't keep up with them. This is crazy!
Mandy Straussberg: It was your idea.
Jared DeWhite: I know.
Jared DeWhite: Hehehe!
Solly Mendelson: What are you doing?
Jared DeWhite: I'm sneaking.
Solly Mendelson: I got a map and plotted out all the points of interest we've found so far. The Hardware store, Sonderson's Imports, the park, all of it. I connected all the dots and it formed a shape.
Mandy Straussberg: What was it?
Solly Mendelson: A pony. I'm not sure what it means yet, but I'm working on it.
Liz Horton: It's great to be home. Isn't God great?