Plan B, Part 1: Missing in Action
Whit hangs up the phone just as Connie comes into Whit’s End. He still can’t get in touch with Eugene and he’s headed over to the college to find him. Connie is avoiding Mitch and decides to go with Whit. The two arrive at Eugene’s apartment and find it ransacked. Nothing seems to be missing except Eugene’s hard drive and his vests and luggage. They head to his college office.
There an assistant tells them that Eugene got an urgent call from Katrina about a week ago and left to go to Chicago Memorial Hospital. Dr. Douglas Rogers, the Dean of Computer Science asks Whit to speak to him in private. Connie calls Jack and Joanne (who are in Chicago) and asks them to go to the Shanks house. She also tries calling Janice Mitchell (who tells her that Katrina’s father Armitage Shanks had a stroke and brain tumor). Janice suggests that Connie call Brandon Teller, a close friend of the family. Connie tries, but when she gets through Brandon’s wife tells her that Brandon conducted the “funeral and the wedding.” Connie goes berserk.
The dean, meanwhile, tells Whit that he thinks Eugene stole the research and he has the videotape to prove it. Whit has a hard time believing it, but the tape doesn’t lie.
Connie and Whit exchange what they’ve learned and call Jack and Joanne. The two of them are just arriving at the Shanks’ and head to the house. Brandon answers the door there and invites them in. He tells them that Armitage died suddenly and that Eugene and Katrina decided to get married at his bedside. Brandon officiated the ceremony and everything went well until he pronounced them man and wife. Armitage said to Eugene, “I’m sorry...I’m sorry I got you the job at the college.” Jack and Joanne wonder what that meant, but Brandon has no idea.
Back in Odyssey, Whit and Connie get an urgent e-mail from Eugene. He tells Whit that he is safe, but that nothing is as it seems. He ends the e-mail with “Beware Andromeda.” Connie and Whit ponder this and Whit decides to have another talk with the dean.
Meanwhile in Chicago, Millie Shanks comes in to the room and tells Jack and Joanne that Eugene and Katrina aren’t safe. “It’s time I told someone the truth,” she says.
- There are no discussion questions listed for this episode. »
- The broadcast version of this episode included a "Fun Fact" about a scene in the background of a scene in #269: “Fences”.
- It also included a parental warning by Paul McCusker.
- Starting with this show and continuing through the Novacom finale, John Campbell took a more "rock" oriented approach to the music for the story arc. The music was heavy on electric guitars, drums, and various electronic sound effects.
- This episode featured the long-awaited wedding of Eugene Meltsner and Katrina Shanks and the (not long-awaited) death of Armitage Shanks. Many characters and story lines from Malachi's Message, Parts 1, 2, and 3 and The Right Choice, Parts 1 and 2 were also introduced, including the sudden grant to the college for Eugene's research and Malachi's comment about it "getting worse before it gets better."
- This episode takes place away from Odyssey: Episodes That Take Place Away from Odyssey
QuotesJohn Whittaker: Well, he gave me an emergency key. I'm proclaiming an official emergency.
Connie Kendall: I agree.
John Whittaker: Eugene must have been in a hurry to get away...
Connie Kendall: Or else he was robbed by a vest lover.