Grand Opening, Part 1
The banners are hung. The crowd is gathered. The ceremony has begun. The ribbon is cut and the new Whit's End in Connellsville is now officially open! Once inside, Whit, Connie, and Mary Hopkins all remark on how great the place looks. The revelry is cut short, however, when Tony asks to see Whit privately.
Meanwhile, Alex and Cal are using the computers when AREM suddenly pops up. Alex doesn't want to talk to him, but Cal pushes him out of the chair. AREM takes them to "Cam 17." The screen shows two people in front of a computer...it's Alex and Cal! There's a camera hidden in the bookcase!
Meanwhile, Tony tells Whit that the "bald guy" who gave him the hidden camera to put in Whit's office is standing across the room. Tony takes off and Whit asks if Mary or Connie recognize the man. They don't.
Just then, Alex and Cal rush up to tell Whit about the camera. Whit starts to look for it when Mary stops him. She takes him upstairs and tells him that she had the cameras installed for security purposes. Mary takes Whit to the master control room where Mr. Benson, the security consultant, shows him the whole setup. There are hidden cameras all around the shop. Mr. Benson says he got them from a place called Surveillance City. Whit thanks him for the information and tells him to turn all the cameras and monitors off.
Back downstairs, Sarah approaches Alex and Cal who are hiding in a booth. They tell her about AREM and then say that there was a hidden camera in a book. Sarah is startled since that's the same thing that Jared said. The three of them head off to Wonderworld to try to figure this out.
On the front porch of the Connellsville Whit's End, Connie is waiting for Mitch to pick her up. Whit asks Connie not to tell Mitch about the cameras. He says that cameras may be connected to a company called Andromeda...and Andromeda owns Novacom. Connie is surprised but assures Whit that she'll be 'Miss Nonchalant.' In Mitch's car, Connie waits about two seconds and then digs for information. She eventually finds that Andromeda does indeed own Novacom. Mitch shrugs off the questions and tells her he has a surprise for her tomorrow.
Meanwhile, Whit stops by Surveillance City and discovers something he feared...there is a connection between the hidden cameras and Novacom. In fact, Novacom bought a huge shipment of them. And Mitch was the one who picked them up. The story continues in part II...
- Who do you think AREM is?
- Do you think Mitch is a good friend for Connie?
- Why or why not?
- In trying times (and in all times), we need to remember that God is in control. Read Psalm 27:5-6. What does the Bible say about God's protection?
Heard in episode
- The broadcast version of this episode included a "Fun Fact" about the many voices of Steve Bridges.
- Three different writers penned the three different story lines in this show. Marshal Younger wrote the Whit's End opening storyline, Kathy Buchanan wrote the Connie and Mitch story, and John Beebee wrote all the scenes with the kids. To accommodate two directors and many different characters, the scenes in this show were recorded out of sequence and then reassembled later.
- The closing for this show included a "Next Time on Adventures in Odyssey," which was featured on every multi-part episode through Album 50.
- This episode takes place away from Odyssey: Episodes That Take Place Away from Odyssey
QuotesSarah Prachett: What do you mean, shhhh?
Alex Jefferson: We mean be quiet. Our napkin dispenser might be bugged.
Sarah Prachett: Yup, I knew it would happen sooner or later. Too many video games--turns your brain into macaroni and cheese.
Alex Jefferson: I've died and gone to heaven!
Cal Jordan: If you died, you probably wouldn't notice.