A Tongue of Fire
Jimmy Barclay is on the air at Kids' Radio! He talks, he tells jokes, he trades barbs with his audience, and he is pretty entertaining for a kid in middle school. But he wants to be very entertaining. So, with Eugene’s help, Jimmy’s made a demo tape to take to the most popular disc jockey in town — Cryin’ Bryan Dern.
Whit thinks the tape is amusing but warns Jimmy that he needs to be careful about what he says — some of his quips border on being insults. Jimmy sloughs off the advice and goes to Dern. Dern tells Jimmy to do exactly the opposite. In fact, one of Dern’s secrets is to tape people covertly, make clips of their choicest comments, and put together well-chosen questions to make the speaker look ridiculous.
Jimmy quickly puts this device to use. He tapes Eugene as he reveals to Whit a surprising and private admission: he has failed his driver’s test. Eugene is mortified that Jimmy would reveal this information on Kid’s Radio. Whit is so angry about it, he pulls Jimmy’s show off the air.
Jimmy doesn’t understand what all the fuss is about — until he hears himself being made a fool of on Bryan Dern’s program. It seems Dern did to Jimmy what Jimmy did to Eugene. Jimmy doesn’t like it one bit. He apologizes to Eugene, and the two of them set out to make a new demo tape of the Jimmy Barclay Show — a kinder, gentler demo tape. And Jimmy learns an important lesson about the damage that the tongue can do.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- Why did Jimmy think it was okay to secretly record Eugene?
- Why was Whit so angry with Jimmy for what he did?
- How can you learn to be more careful about what you say?
- Is that a struggle for you?
- Why or why not?
- Is that a struggle for you?
- Read James 3:1-1
- What did the apostle James mean when he said that “the tongue is a fire”?
Heard in episode
|Bryan Dern||Corey Burton|
|Bryan Dern's guest||Unknown|
|Connie Kendall||Katie Leigh|
|Eugene Meltsner||Will Ryan|
|Jimmy Barclay||David Griffin|
|John Whittaker||Hal Smith|
- This show marks the first appearance of shock jock Bryan Dern.
- In the background on this episode during the commercial break for Jimmy's show, we can hear Chris doing an Adventures in Odyssey commercial for Album 11, complete with an audible clip from #158: “A Day in the Life” featuring Connie.
- This episode starts Eugene's Driver's License saga.
- Eugene relays this as one of his most embarrassing experiences in #807: “Connie the Counselor”.
QuotesEugene Meltsner: This is rather embarrassing to admit Mr. Whittaker, but <whispering> I don't have a driver's license.
John Whittaker: You don't have a driver's license?!
Eugene Meltsner: Please Mr. Whittaker lower your vocal amplification! This is not information I wish to share with the world at large.
Jimmy Barclay: Shocking, shocking, absolutely shocking. It's amazing the things you hear when you... oh, uh, it looks like we have a guest! Mr. John Avery — hey!
John Whittaker: Due to circumstances beyond his control, the rest of the Jimmy Barclay Show will not be heard today.
John Whittaker: Didn't you take the test?
Eugene Meltsner: Of course I took the test!
John Whittaker: So what happened?
Eugene Meltsner: I failed it! I flunked it!
John Whittaker: A couple of days ago he really wanted to be like you, Mr. Dern. But by doing no more than being yourself, you made him realize what a horrible prospect that really is. And for that, you have my undying gratitude.