The Triangled Web, Part 2
When walking to Whit's End, Curt Stevens calls Lucy Cunningham-Schultz and asks her to stop by Odyssey Elementary School. Meanwhile Jimmy Barclay decides to take Lucy on the Lewis and Clark Imagination Station adventure. Lucy arrives at Odyssey Elementary and the two start to have dinner eating elementary school food. Lucy feels awkward when Curt reveals he is trying to apologize. His poem fails to convince her and she leaves.
After waiting patiently for Lucy to come to the Gazebo, Jack Davis decides to go back to Whit's End. When Lucy gets to Whit's End Connie directs her upstairs. However, when she gets to the Bible Room, Whit gives her a note saying Jack would like to meet her at the Gazebo. Curt laments to Bernard Walton how his plans fails and he encourages him to apologize to her. Jack arrives at Whit's End and finds out Lucy should be in the Imagination Station with Jimmy.
Jimmy and Curt meet in the Imagination Station where they are chased by a buffalo stampede. Lucy arrives at the Gazebo and thinks Jack stood her up and decides to return to Whit's End. Curt arrives at Whit's End and after finding out Lucy should be in the Imagination Station rushes up there. After talking Jack reveals to Jimmy that he and Lucy are supposed to be dating. Curt arrives and joins then in the Lewis and Clark expedition, revealing that he also likes Lucy.
Whit, Connie and Bernard all have a conversation finding out that Jack, Jimmy, and Curt are all pursuing Lucy. Jack, Jimmy, and Curt all realize they have all been competing for Lucy. Connie, Bernard, and Whit all come in and realize that Lucy isn't in the Imagination Station. However the combined weight sinks the boat they're all in. Lucy finally appears ending the three way search.
Jimmy finally reveals his crush to Lucy and she is flattered but the two decide to remain friends. After talking about their respective relationships with Lucy, Curt encourages Jack to commit to Lucy. Jack and Curt then talk with Whit who encourages Jack once again to commit to her. Finally, Jack takes Lucy to the Gazebo and proposes to her, accompanied by a show put on by Curt and Jimmy. The show ends with Curt and Jack deciding to pound Jimmy for the fun of it after he jokes about Jack and Lucy's wedding.
- There are no discussion questions listed for this episode. »
Heard in episode
- This episode's title is based on #464: “The Triangle, Part 1”, #465: “The Triangle, Part 2” and #12: “The Tangled Web”.
- The poem Curt "wrote" for Lucy is from the song "Close to You."
- The kazoo chorus celebrating Jack's proposal to Lucy plays the famous chorus from the classical composition Handel's Messiah.
- Jack's summation of Whit's advice to "fish or cut bait" is the exact phrase spoken to Eugene by Armitage Shanks in #363: “The Right Choice, Part 2”.
- This is the last episode to air that features original dialogue recorded by Dave Madden for Bernard Walton, as well as the last to mention Bernard's wife Maude. Bernard featured in #???: “B-TV: Live” which ran too long and will likely never be aired on the radio, and his lines heard in #772: “Pinocchio: The Tale of a Foolish Puppet, Part 2” were taken from archive recordings.
- Phil Lollar's lines for the Bible Verse Mirror heard in this episode (in the background, as Jack talks to Curt about Lucy) are taken from archive recordings.
- In Candid Conversations with Connie at the very end of this episode, Connie mentions that the city is planting new flowers in McAlister Park, but the city gave the park back to Eleanor McAlister, who in turn sold it to Whit in #637: “The Forgotten Deed”. This line seems to contradict that episode. However, the line could be explained as a project that the city started and was simply trying to finish as not finishing it would be a waste and look ugly in a park, private or otherwise.
QuotesJimmy Barclay: It's Lewis! Or maybe it's Clark...I can't figure out which is which...
Curt Stevens: Could you stop by Odyssey Elementary first?
Lucy Cunningham-Schultz: What for?
Curt Stevens: Oh, it's kind of a surprise.
Lucy Cunningham-Schultz: Okay, I'll be there in a few minutes.
Curt Stevens: Okay, I'll bring the dust pan.
Lucy Cunningham-Schultz: Why?
Curt Stevens: Cause you might get swept away.
Curt Stevens: Mr. Walton?
Jimmy Barclay: Connie?
Jack Davis: Mr. Whittaker?
Meriwether Lewis: Where did you people come from? This boat can't handle this much weight!
Lucy Cunningham-Schultz: What's going on in here?
Curt Stevens: You, uh, want to go out with us?
Curt Stevens: "Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?"
Lucy Cunningham-Schultz: You stole that!
Curt Stevens: I only had like, fifteen minutes! I spent all my time finding the sporks!
Jack Davis: Maybe I should bow out and let you have her. I mean, Lucy deserves somebody who can make a decision.
Jimmy Barclay: Yeah, but that's not me. I can't make a decision. It takes me fifteen minutes just to pick out something off the value menu.
Jimmy Barclay: The lawn's on fire! The lawn's on fire! Who's got a fire extinguisher?
Curt Stevens: You were supposed to bring that!
Jimmy Barclay: I knew that!