Waylaid in the Windy City, Part 2
On a trip to Chicago, Whit and Connie get caught up in a dangerous mystery involving a portable computer, the Department of Defense, and some familiar--but not very friendly--faces
Whit coordinates with Agent Frank Phillips, who insists that his squad be there to capture the doctor. So, under the clock tower, Whit waits. The agents watch him closely through their surveillance equipment. Suddenly, Whit disappears! Whit has been grabbed by Richard Maxwell, Blackgaard’s former assistant. Richard insists that he's out to get revenge against Blackgaard. Richard claims he's there to help Whit, but Whit is unsure of what to believe. Since Richard also claims to know where Blackgaard is holding Connie, Whit decides to trust him and go along.
Our story comes to a climax in a warehouse owned by Blackgaard. But there are a few more twists left in the story. Richard pulls a gun out on Blackgarrd, forces him to his knees, and tells him to beg for his life. Whit intercedes, and there's at least one character who isn't who he pretends to be. Along the way, we learn important lessons about the folly of revenge, deception, and greed. And Blackgaard, who never seems to learn anything from his experiences, vows that he will have his own revenge against John Avery Whittaker.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- If you were Whit, would you have trusted Richard Maxwell? Do you think Richard had changed for better or for worse?
- Read Proverbs 29:25. How has the Lord kept you safe lately?
Heard in episode
|Connie Kendall||Katie Leigh|
|Frank Phillips||Greg Berg|
|John Whittaker||Hal Smith|
|Regis Blackgaard||Earl Boen|
|Richard Maxwell||Nathan Carlson|
Mentioned in episode
|Tom Riley||Regis Blackgaard|
|Philip Glossman||Regis Blackgaard|
|Gregory Kelley||Richard Maxwell|
- For writer Paul McCusker, the inspiration for this show came from an actual news item in England! Apparently, someone in the British military stopped for a short time to use the bathroom, leaving his laptop computer containing all kinds of military secrets on his front seat. When he returned, someone had stolen it! Paul shifted the idea into Whit getting involved in a luggage mix-up.
- In fact, the story was originally going to be set in London, but McCusker was concerned that the voice actors in LA wouldn't be able to pull off convincing British accents (it's harder than you'd think!), so the setting was changed to Chicago instead.
- Though it isn't made clear until much later, Blackgaard's half jest about opening a chain location of his new electronics business in Odyssey comes true just four episodes later in #160: “A Rathbone of Contention” as the Electric Palace opens — a store managed by Bart Rathbone but owned by Blackgaard.
- Whit's line in this episode about revenge requiring two graves was previously used by Marco Dibiasi in #38: “Camp What-A-Nut, Part 2”.
- These episodes were made into an AIO Activity Pack, Waylaid in the Windy City, Volume #4.
- This episode takes place away from Odyssey: Episodes That Take Place Away from Odyssey
QuotesConnie Kendall: You have more loopholes than a spaghetti strainer!
Regis Blackgaard: Ah, yes, that Odyssian humor...
John Whittaker: Don't you understand that when you go out for revenge, you've gotta dig two graves! One for the person you're after and one for yourself! Richard, there's no such thing as revenge, not really. It never replaces what you lost. It never restores. It doesn't even satisfy. You're out of the detention center now; you've got your whole life ahead of you! Now please, give me the gun!
Regis Blackgaard: Laugh now Whittaker, but I'm not finished with you. Not by a long shot.
John Whittaker: Those are a lot of maybes.
Richard Maxwell: Six, to be exact.
Regis Blackgaard: No, no, no, no, no, Miss Kendall! Don't try to think! Leave that to me.
Frank Phillips: Alright, nobody move!
Connie Kendall: Not again.
Regis Blackgaard: What are you going to do — frighten me with rude expressions?
Regis Blackgaard: Not so fast, princess!!
Regis Blackgaard: Please don't hurt me, please!!!!