The Return of Harley, Part 1
Officer David Harley is back! He comes into town to take Steve Larson on a promised motorcycle ride. But Steve is no longer in town, so David takes Jack Davis for a spin instead. They're on their way up to Trickle Lake when Jack spots a deserted road. Officer Harley and Jack investigate and discover a van on the road, parked in front of a hidden cave. Two guys are loading boxes into the van from the cave. David tells Jack to hop off and stay put. Then Officer Harley races up the road toward the cave and van to investigate. On his way up the hill, his motorcycle hits a booby trap. Harley's motorcycle careens out of control and crashes down a steep embankment. Jack runs back to town and is followed by one of the men from the van.
Jack gets Whit, Connie, and his parents to return with him to the cave. But once they get there, everything is gone - the van, boxes, motorcycle, and even Officer Harley! And since Jack tends to have an overactive imagination, no one believes him.
Later that night, the man who followed Jack into town suddenly appears in Jack's backyard. The man tells Jack that if he ever wants to see David again, Jack had better make sure no one believes his story.
- Have you ever let your imagination run away from you?
- Do you think that an imagination is good?
- Why or why not?
Heard in episode
|Al Davis||Alan Bergmann|
|Connie Kendall||Katie Leigh|
|David Harley||Will Ryan|
|Helen Davis||Janet May|
|Jack Davis||Donald Long|
|John Whittaker||Hal Smith|
Mentioned in episode
|Steve Larson||David Harley|
|Al Larson||Jack Davis|
|Barbara Larson||Jack Davis|
|John Kirban||Al Davis|
|Mr. Kirban||Al Davis|
- This episode would later be remade as #255: “The Boy Who Cried 'Destructo!'”, with Lawrence Hodges replacing Jack Davis.
- This episode was never placed into an album or re-aired after its original release. It was later remade as #255: “The Boy Who Cried 'Destructo!'”. The original episodes have not become available until the release of the The Officer Harley Collection in the Adventures in Odyssey Club.
- The summary for this episode on original whitsend.org says:
- There's one other twist to the story - how David, Whit, and Jack are going to escape. You'll enjoy finding out for yourself and discovering that appearances can be deceiving.
- However, until the launch of the Adventures in Odyssey Club in 2014, this episode was not available from Focus on the Family. The The Complete Guide has a similar summary.
- David Harley returns in this episode to give a motorcycle ride to Steve Larson who Harley rescued in “Harley Takes the Case”, but Jack says that Steve moved away a few months earlier, so he gives Jack a ride instead.
- David Harley says he likes Jack's punchline to a joke about motorcycle riders better than he his. This is a possible reference to #24: “Gotcha!” where Harley has repeatedly has trouble finishing his joke.
- Jack's parents reference the events of #29: “Rumor Has It” in this episode.
- Whit teaches Connie to drive in this episode. Connie would later teach Eugene in #194: “A License to Drive”.
QuotesDavid Harley: Ah, Trickle Lake, ey? It's not too far from here! Right near, uh... Trickle Lake!
John Whittaker: What do you mean by running in front of a truck that way? You scared 10 years off our lives — which I can hardly afford to lose, I might add!