Rain, rain, rain - it's been storming in Odyssey for days, and Connie is sick of it. Sick of that and the way Whit, Tom, and everyone else in town seem to be "preaching" at her. It all escalates when Whit assumes Connie will emcee the upcoming Bible Drill. Connie blows up, then takes a walk in the rain. She goes to a friend's house, but finds no comfort there. Finally, she ends up at home, where she begs her mom to let her go back to California - permanently. Mrs. Kendall says she'll have to think about it. To Connie, that means it's a done deal. Suddenly, Mrs. Kendall remembers that she called Whit because she was worried about Connie, and Whit went looking for her out in the storm.
Connie dons a slicker and rubber boots and takes off in search of Whit. They meet up in a neighbor's shed, and Connie informs Whit of her decision to go back to California. Whit is bothered but suggests that they go back to Whit's End to talk about it. The storm gets much worse. Whit and Connie barely get inside the door when the front window explodes! Glass flies everywhere, and a large chunk embeds itself in Whit's leg. Connie panics, but Whit steadily issues instructions to her while quietly quoting a psalm to calm himself.
Just when things seem their darkest, Mrs. Kendall arrives. She and Connie take Whit to the hospital where he gets stitches. Connie tells Whit that she didn't realize how much Whit meant to her until the accident. Whit tells Connie virtually the same thing, then asks if she's still going to California. Connie says maybe around Christmas. Then she adds that she'd be happy to judge the Bible Drill. Whit and Connie hug, and Connie realizes that Whit is much more to her than just a nice employer. He's her friend.
- Why was Connie so anxious to get back to California?
- Why did Whit want Connie to stay in Odyssey?
- Why did Whit start reciting the psalm?
|Connie Kendall||Katie Leigh|
|John Whittaker||Hal Smith|
|June Kendall||Maggie Malooly|
|Tom Riley||Walker Edmiston|
- The Debbie that Connie visits is probably the same one that she was planning to go to the concert with in #12: “The Tangled Web”.
- This is officially billed as June Kendall's first appearance - but in the edited version of "The Tangled Web" she has one line: 'Hello', and that becomes her first appearance.
- The original title of this episode was "A Stormy Afternoon".
- When June Kendall enters Whit's End near the end of the show, the doorbell isn't heard.
- VERSION DIFFERENCE: In the broadcast version of this episode, Chris visits a weather station that gives the weather for specific AIO episodes. It also mentions Nothing to Fear and The Tangled Web.
- A clip from the first broadcast of this episode advertising the Adventures in Odyssey album can be heard below:
QuotesJohn Whittaker: ...Oh, it took only a few stitches...
Connie Kendall: ...and eighteen stitches are not just a few.
John Whittaker: Hello, Tom. What are you doing out in this weather?
Tom Riley: Oh, you know how I am when it comes to storms, Whit. Everything just gets so, so, uh, wet.
Connie Kendall: I hate it. I hate it. I hate it! All this rain and wind.
John Whittaker: I don't know which is worse staying in here or trying to run back. We're both wearing raincoats and rubber shoes so we shouldn't get struck by lightning.
Connie Kendall: Struck by lightning?
John Whittaker: Well it's either that or fighting a tornado. You know, they issued a tornado watch on the radio.
Connie Kendall: What? Let's get out of here!
Connie Kendall: Stay right here. I'll be right back. Do not move.
John Whittaker: Even if I could I wouldn't.