The Shepherd and the Giant
|What Are We Gonna Do About Halloween?||The Shepherd and the Giant||A Single Vote|
Whit is in the Bible Room working on another invention designed to make the Scriptures come to life. Connie enters, and Whit shows her "The Environment Enhancer". It's a set of headphones hooked up to a machine that, through the imagination, places you inside a Biblical adventure. Connie is disappointed that the adventures are from the Bible, but Whit tells her not to knock it until she's tried it.
Connie puts on the headphones and is almost immediately transported to a pastoral setting where a young man is watching over a flock of sheep and playing a harp. The young man's name is David. He reads Connie one of his "poems." She watches as he fights a lion with nothing but his staff. Later, Connie witnesses this young shepherd being anointed king of Israel by an old prophet named Samuel.
Connie then accompanies David as he visits his brothers on the battlefield in their war against the Philistines. A giant bully named Goliath taunts the Israelites. Connie is stunned when David volunteers to go one-on-one against Goliath in battle, armed with only a sling and five smooth stones. Goliath ridicules David, but David calls upon the Lord. Connie watches as the giant falls to the ground, then David cuts off Goliath's head with his own sword. Spurred on by David's heroism, the Israelites surge forward and attack the Philistines, defeating them soundly.
Connie discovers that the Bible is anything but boring, moving her another step closer to a relationship with God.
- Connie thought there were much better stories to tell than those in the Bible. Why do you think she believed that?
- Why did God reject all of David’s brothers?
- Why did David pick up five stones to fight Goliath?
- Why not one?
- Or two?
|John Whittaker||Hal Smith|
|Connie Kendall||Katie Leigh|
|King David||Will Ryan|
|King Saul||Walker Edmiston|
- This episode marked the first (and last) appearance of the Environment Enhancer, the predecessor of the Imagination Station.
- VERSION DIFFERENCE: In the broadcast version of this episode, Chris talks to a "Mr. Pardon" at the Fashion Center at the Odyssey Mall. Mr. Pardon thinks Chris's T-shirt is a work of art.
QuotesJohn Whittaker: Before you knock it, why don't you try it?
Connie Kendall: You mean the machine?
John Whittaker: Sure. I need a guinea pig, and you'll do just fine.
Connie Kendall: Were you able to find out anything about my friend?
Samuel: No, but thanks for reminding me.
Connie Kendall: That's it? Sticks and stones?
King David: Of course not.
Connie Kendall: Well, that's good.
King David: I also have my sling.
Connie Kendall: You can't win against that giant with some sticks and stones and a leather strap! You need something more!
King David: But I do have something more. I have the Lord God of Israel on my side.
- This Page On
- http://www.aiohq.com/1988.htm#46%7C AIOHQ
- http://aiolib.com/episodes.php?season=2&epmode=detailed#episode46%7C Odyssey Library
- http://odysseyscoop.com/episodes/Episodes_1988.htm#AIO46%7C Odyssey Scoop
- http://www.aiosoda.com/episodes_view.php?episode=46#46%7C Soda Fountain
- http://www.whitsend.org/vault/A000000079.cfm%7C Whits End