The Battle, Part 2
Richard Maxwell is furious with Dr. Blackgaard that Lucy was the one who got hurt. But Regis has too much incriminating information about Richard. Blackgaard persuades Richard to calm down and get back to work on finding out the password to "Applesauce."
Meanwhile, Whit, who is discouraged by Lucy's injuries, and Eugene try to discover why the Imagination Station blew up. Whit informs Eugene that "Applesauce" isn't only a program for Whit's End. It is also a highly classified government program that contains a lot of top secret government information. Thanks to the presence of a log in Mabel's program, Eugene learns that it had been broken into — and this caused the Imagination Station to malfunction. Whit and Eugene also conclude that the culprit was Richard Maxwell or, more likely, Dr. Blackgaard.
Richard Maxwell goes to the hospital to apologize to Lucy and learns that she knows about Blackgaard's scheme to get "Applesauce." Lucy challenges Richard to do the right thing and go to the authorities. He feels terrible, but he says he can't. He leaves just as Whit arrives. Lucy tells Whit everything she knows.
Richard returns to Blackgaard's Castle and informs the doctor that he has gotten the password. Blackgaard is thrilled and rushes to go input it. But Richard is not the man we think he is: The password he tells Regis to type in isn't the password for Whit's computer. It's the password to destroy Blackgaard's computer. Everything at the Castle suddenly goes haywire. A fire breaks out. Blackgaard is insanely angry at Richard and pushes an arcade game on top of him, leaving him to die in the fire.
Whit arrives just in time to save Richard. The police arrest Richard but have little luck in finding Dr. Blackgaard. Whit erases the "Applesauce" program from Mabel's system, hoping that will put an end to the sad events that have plagued Odyssey since Dr. Blackgaard's arrival. Will things return to normal? Only time will tell.
- Was Richard Maxwell right to have wrecked Blackgaard’s Castle?
- If you were in Richard’s position, would you have done what he did?
- Whit thanked God for protecting them throughout the summer. Can you think of a time when you felt God’s protection around you? If so, explain.
Heard in episode
|Connie Kendall||Katie Leigh|
|Eugene Meltsner||Will Ryan|
|John Whittaker||Hal Smith|
|Lucy Cunningham-Schultz||Genni Long|
|Regis Blackgaard||Earl Boen|
|Richard Maxwell||Nathan Carlson|
Mentioned in episode
|Tom Riley||Richard Maxwell|
|Jenny Whittaker||Regis Blackgaard|
- This episode concludes the first segment of the Blackgaard Saga, specifically the arc of episodes centering on Regis Blackgaard's pursuit of the Applesauce program that spanned the summer of 1989.
- The Official Guide states:
|“||In the "The Battle, Part 2", Whit says that Applesauce was broken into "on two separate occasions." In fact, Dr. Blackgaard and Richard Maxwell broke into Applesauce only once. We can't account for the second time Whit is referencing... unless some other nefarious party was after the program, too! However it's possible that he counted when the connection was broken as two separate occasions.||”|
- See The Whisperer for more information.
- This is the first of two instances where Whit has demonstrated that he's willing to destroy one of his creations for the greater good when he orders Mabel to erase Applesauce. The second is in the episode #499: “Exit” when he orders Tom Riley to self-destruct the Imagination Station.
QuotesRichard Maxwell: You saved my life! Why?
John Whittaker: Two reasons. For one, you have a lot of explaining to do.
Richard Maxwell: Yeah? What's the other reason?
John Whittaker: Your life is worth saving.
Regis Blackgaard: Oh... oh, this is wonderful! Applesauce is finally within my reach. After all these years, I'm finally going to get it!
Richard Maxwell: Ya got that right, heh heh heh...