An Act of Mercy
Rodney Rathbone is nabbed by Officer Patrick O'Ryan for trying to steal apples from Tom Riley's farm. Rodney breaks a fence in the process, and Tom figures the damage comes to about $30. Rodney professes poverty and begs Tom to forgive the debt, which Tom does. But instead of passing the favor along, Rodney immediately hunts down Peter Holt and demands repayment of a $2 loan. Peter only has $1, so Rodney throttles him and pushes him into a stack of garbage cans.
Tom Riley hears of this and has Officer O'Ryan find Rodney and bring him back to the farm. Once there, Tom tells Rodney to fix the fence and pick up all the apples around the area to pay back the debt he owes Tom. Rodney protests that Tom said the debt was clear! It isn't fair! But Tom says he's being as fair with Rodney as Rodney was with Peter Holt. When Tom adds that Rodney's father agrees, Rodney realizes that he's run out of appeals. He groans loudly, then picks up the hammer and nails and begins making restitution.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- What does it mean to forgive someone?
- How many times does Jesus say to forgive your neighbor?
- Describe a time you have shown, or failed to show, someone mercy.
|Bart Rathbone||Walker Edmiston|
|Connie Kendall||Katie Leigh|
|Jimmy Barclay||David Griffin|
|John Whittaker||Hal Smith|
|Patrick O'Ryan||Will Ryan|
|Peter Holt||Katie Leigh|
|Rodney Rathbone||Steve Burns|
|Tom Riley||Walker Edmiston|
VERSION DIFFERENCE: [view] The broadcast version of this episode features Chris talking to Dave Arnold about her car—that he drove into a telephone pole. Chris calls him a "car-basher" when she reads the wraps.
- This episode is a remake of #23: “The Quality of Mercy”.
- Although Patrick O'Ryan replaced Officer Harley in this episode, they actually share many lines that were found offensive on Harley. However, on O'Ryan, it is very obvious that O'Ryan is kidding, as opposed to being stupid.
- Rodney calls Bart "Dad" instead of "Pop."
- This is Bart's first episode.
- Contrary to this episode, you can't play the best three out of four, four out of five, six out of seven, or seven out of eight.
- A much-noted goof of this episode is that O'Ryan calls Bart Rathbone Bill. This is apparently because in "The Quality of Mercy" (the episode that this episode is a remake of) the original father's name was Bill. Apparently this line was looked over in the rewrite. Later in the episode, he is called Bart.
- AIO Update: Read
QuotesJohn Whittaker: Ha! Gotcha!
Connie Kendall: What? How did you do that? Where did... Oh! I set you up, it's all part of my plan.
John Whittaker: Well, if your plan is to lose, you're doing a pretty good job!
Connie Kendall: Well, it's not over till it's over, MISTER Whittaker!
Patrick O'Ryan: Thanks for your cooperation, Bill.
Bart Rathbone: It’s my pleasure. After everything Tom Riley told me, I think this’ll be a good lesson for the kid.
Rodney Rathbone: Every time adults talk about principles, I get in trouble.