An Act of Mercy
Rodney Rathbone is nabbed by Officer Patrick O'Ryan for trying to steal apples from Tom Riley's farm. Rodney breaks a fence in the process, and Tom figures the damage comes to about $30. Rodney professes poverty and begs Tom to forgive the debt, which Tom does. But instead of passing the favor along, Rodney immediately hunts down Peter Holt and demands repayment of a $2 loan. Peter only has $1, so Rodney throttles him and pushes him into a stack of garbage cans.
Tom Riley hears of this and has Officer O'Ryan find Rodney and bring him back to the farm. Once there, Tom tells Rodney to fix the fence and pick up all the apples around the area to pay back the debt he owes Tom. Rodney protests that Tom said the debt was clear! It isn't fair! But Tom says he's being as fair with Rodney as Rodney was with Peter Holt. When Tom adds that Rodney's father agrees, Rodney realizes that he's run out of appeals. He groans loudly, then picks up the hammer and nails and begins making restitution.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- What does it mean to forgive someone?
- How many times does Jesus say to forgive your neighbor?
- Describe a time you have shown, or failed to show, someone mercy.
VERSION DIFFERENCE: [view] The broadcast version of this episode features Chris talking to Dave Arnold about her car—that he drove into a telephone pole. Chris calls him a "car-basher" when she reads the wraps.
- This episode is a remake of #23: “The Quality of Mercy”. While Patrick O'Ryan replaces Officer Harley in this version, the two character actually share many lines that were found offensive on Harley. However, it is very obvious that O'Ryan is kidding as opposed to being stupid.
- This is Bart Rathbone's first episode.
- Rodney calls Bart "Dad" instead of "Pop," likely because running joke of Bart hating the nickname had apparently not yet been established.
- You can't actually play the best three out of four, four out of five, six out of seven, or seven out of eight, as Connie and Whit joke about in this episode.
- A much-noted goof of this episode is that O'Ryan calls Bart Rathbone "Bill." This is apparently because in "#23: “The Quality of Mercy”" (the episode being remade) the original father's name was Bill. Apparently this line was overlooked in the rewrite. Later in the episode, Whit calls Bart by his actual name.
- AIO Update: Read
QuotesJohn Whittaker: Ha! Gotcha!
Connie Kendall: What? How did you do that? Where did... Oh! I set you up, it's all part of my plan.
John Whittaker: Well, if your plan is to lose, you're doing a pretty good job!
Connie Kendall: Well, it's not over till it's over, MISTER Whittaker!
Patrick O'Ryan: Thanks for your cooperation, Bill.
Bart Rathbone: It’s my pleasure. After everything Tom Riley told me, I think this’ll be a good lesson for the kid.
Rodney Rathbone: Every time adults talk about principles, I get in trouble.
Tom Riley: Peter, you look like you got hit by a garbage truck!
Peter Holt: Just one can.