Waylaid in the Windy City, Part 1
Whit takes Connie on a trip to Chicago. She’s excited to visit the city. But when they get off the plane, a security guard demands to examine Whit’s laptop computer. Apparently, a computer that looks just like Whit’s was recently stolen. Whit proves the laptop is his, and he and Connie make their way out to the hotel van.
Inside the van, a strange young man is acting secretive. He demands to be let out on the way to the hotel. The driver stops, opening the back of the van to retrieve the young man’s luggage. The young man grabs his bags and leaves.
Later, at the hotel, Whit and Connie turn on the TV and are stunned to see that the same young man is wanted for the disappearance of the stolen computer! The computer belonged to a member of the Department of Defense, and it contained top secret files. Whit and Connie head straight to the police.
Meanwhile, the young man is being interrogated by Dr. Regis Blackgaard. The young man was stealing electronic equipment out of cars for Blackgaard when he picked up the laptop as well. But, to further complicate things, the laptop the young man gave to Blackgaard doesn’t have any Defense Department secrets on it. The young man grabbed the wrong computer, Whit’s, when he got out of the van. Blackgaard leaves to find Whit.
But Whit is being questioned by Agent Frank Phillips from the Defense Department. Phillips suspects Whit of stealing the computer. There is no proof, however, so Phillips lets Whit and Connie go. When they return to their hotel, they find that someone tried to break into Whit’s room! All of Whit's possessions are now in the hotel’s safe. Connie is escorted upstairs by a bellhop, while Whit checks things out and examines the computer. Sure enough, it belongs to the Department of Defense!
Whit immediately calls Agent Phillips, who warns Whit that he could be in great danger. Whit suddenly remembers Connie. But it's too late. The bellboy was really one of Blackgaard’s men. The evil doctor kidnapped her.
- Was it inappropriate for Connie to get angry with airport security? Why or why not?
- Read Proverbs 29:25. How has the Lord kept you safe lately?
|Connie Kendall||Katie Leigh|
|Frank Phillips||Greg Berg|
|Gregory Kelley||Donald Long|
|John Whittaker||Hal Smith|
|Regis Blackgaard||Earl Boen|
|Victor Herman||Bob Luttrell|
|TV Reporter||Dave Arnold|
|Bus Driver||Phil Lollar|
- For writer Paul McCusker, the inspiration for this show came from an actual news item in England! Apparently, someone in the British military stopped for a short time to use the bathroom, leaving his laptop computer containing all kinds of military secrets on his front seat. When he returned, someone had stolen it!
- In fact, the story was originally going to be set in London, but McCusker was concerned that the voice actors in LA wouldn't be able to pull off convincing British accents (it's harder than you'd think!), so the setting was changed to Chicago instead.
- These episodes were made into an AIO Activity Pack, Waylaid in the Windy City, Volume #4.
- This episode takes place away from Odyssey: Episodes That Take Place Away from Odyssey
- Here's the script: File:Waylaid in the Windy City, Part 1.pdf
QuotesConnie Kendall: Do things like this always happen to you when you come on these trips?
John Whittaker: No, this is the first time...
Connie Kendall: Oh, great! Make me feel welcome, why don'tcha...
John Whittaker: There's our shuttle, Connie. Let's hurry. Hold that van! Oh -- we're gonna miss it.
Connie Kendall: Hey! Wait for us!
John Whittaker: I knew I brought you along for a good reason, Connie.
Regis Blackgaard: "Property of John A. Whittaker, Whit's End, Odyssey." It truly is a small world! Whittaker. (evil laugh)
Connie Kendall: Yeah? Well, you better watch it, bub. Cause I know John Avery Whittaker and he-
Regis Blackgaard: What a coincidence. So do I.
Connie Kendall: Huh? Who said that?
Regis Blackgaard: I did. Hello, Miss Kendall.
Connie Kendall: You!
Regis Blackgaard: Yes, Dr. Regis Blackgaard at your service.
John Whittaker: All the biggest airlines fly here. The terminal covers miles! It's so big, the baggage claim is in a different time zone!
Connie Kendall: You're kidding!
John Whittaker: Yeah, I'm kidding.