Worst Day Ever
Mandy Straussberg has one of those days when one thing after another goes wrong.
Mandy Straussberg is not having a good day:
She starts her day by dropping all of her books and being late to class. When she gets there she finds that she is going to get detention for being late and she doesn't have her homework assignment. In the cafeteria, things keep going downhill as she runs into Alex and gets a fat lip. When she goes to the ice machine to try to stop the swelling, the machine malfunctions and she gets covered with ice. Not only that, but the cafeteria is out of pizza and only has broccoli casserole left. Mandy doesn't make it on the band because she can't play the French horn with a swollen lip. She gets her head soaked by the drinking fountain, and then even gets her foot wet by slipping on a toilet while trying to escape a stall in the bathroom. Things don't improve in detention when she accidentally seems to start a student rebellion.
She has a bike accident on the way to Whit's End, and once there Alex ruins her sweater with ice cream and Sarah tells her the bad news that the ice skating show that they were going to was canceled. Things can't get any worse! Or can they? Alex and Sarah Prachett are trying to figure out what bad things that Mandy has done recently to deserve this. On her way home, a dog attacks her, she accidentally steps on some rosebushes, and she is soaked by some sprinklers. Finally she makes it home. She runs to her room and goes to bed, to try to end the day as quickly as possible. Her mom brings up some soup and tries to explain to her that bad days happen. Then Mandy asks where her cat Fluffy-face is. "Let's talk about that tomorrow," says her mom.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- Why did Alex think all these bad things were happening to Mandy?
- Do you think he was right?
- What did Mandy's mom tell her about bad days?
- Have you ever had a really, really bad day like Mandy's?
- What happened to you?
- What did you do about it?
Heard in episode
Mentioned in episode
|Mr. Jefferson||Alex Jefferson|
|John Whittaker||Sarah Prachett|
|David Straussberg||Mrs. Filgengeister|
|Stephen Straussberg||Mrs. Filgengeister|
VERSION DIFFERENCE: [view] *This show aired with a promo for the following episode, #457: “Opportunity Knocks”, featuring "a man named Preston Dent." The man's name is actually Arthur Dent. It was changed to make his name sound more British.
- On the day of recording, confusion arose over whether Mandy's cat Fluffy-face was a boy or a girl. Both versions of Mandy's line in the final scene were recorded and the correct take was used.
- This episode marks the debut of Cal Jordan, who would go on to play a prominent role in the Novacom Saga. Cal is voiced by Adam Pavlakovich, whose mother is Katie Leigh, the voice of Connie Kendall.
- Mandy plays the french horn. However, the artwork for the album (which is from this episode) clearly shows Mandy carrying a cornet.
Mandy Straussberg: Hey, are you going to band auditions this afternoon?
Alex Jefferson: Yep. My drums are ready to go.
Mandy Straussberg: You play the oboe.
Alex Jefferson: I did play the oboe. My dad said it gave him a headache and thought I should take up another instrument.
Mandy Straussberg: Does he know that you decided on drums?
Mandy Straussberg: Stop! Stop! I Just wanted one piece of ice!
Mandy Straussberg: That was awful!
Alex Jefferson: It wasn't so bad. I could still make out The First Noel.
Mandy Straussberg: Great. But it was the National Anthem.
Alex Jefferson: Uhh, yeah I know. It was just the Christmas version of it.