A debate about the existence of God, a stalled elevator and a ticking bomb are all part of Whit's visit to a local radio station.
Connie pulls up in front of the Scheimholtz Building in downtown Odyssey. She is dropping off Whit, who is scheduled to debate Cryin’ Bryan Dern on the topic of Christianity vs. atheism on Dern’s show. Connie doesn’t want Whit to do it, she feels that Dern is just sponsoring the debate as a publicity stunt. But Whit says Dern has made some unqualified statements about the church and God that cannot go unchallenged. So Whit has decided to appear on the program.
Unfortunately, Whit doesn’t know that Dern has rigged himself with a wireless microphone, hoping to catch Whit making an embarrassing statement. But what nobody knows is that two thugs named Benny Marks and Lou Dodsworth have planted a bomb in the basement elevator shaft!
Later, when the elevator gets stuck between floors, it’s Dern who ends up making a statement, revealing that he actually does believe in God. Dern begs God to help them. The timer ticks away, and the police evacuate the building. But there’s no way to get Whit and Dern out in time. The countdown reaches its end, and the elevator shaft is shaken with an explosion. Whit and Dern are unharmed, except for being dizzy from a terrible smell that fills the building. The bomb was a stink bomb! Benny and Lou are caught by the police, and Cryin’ Bryan Dern has to deal with the fool he’s made out of himself on the radio.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- Why did Whit want to debate Bryan Dern?
- Why didn’t Connie want Whit to go on the show?
- Were Lou and Benny justified in doing what they did?
- Why or why not?
- Do you think Bryan Dern really believed what he said about God before he and Whit got stuck in the elevator?
- What about afterward, when Bryan thought he was going to die? Explain.
- As the title suggests, this episode is done completely in real time, including commercial break time, which throws it off a little on the album version.
- Despite the fact that Odyssey is a small town, apparently it has a bomb squad. The bomb squad is again mentioned in the Blackgaard Saga.
- This show is based off of an episode from the TV show M*A*S*H.
QuotesBryan Dern: I know it seems like magic but if you'd just listened to the beginning of the program, you'd know it was a tape of the best of the Cryin' Bryan Dern Show.
Connie Kendall: Oh. Well, I guess that makes sense.
Bryan Dern: I'm so happy. Now I'd love to stand here and give you another lesson in basic radio 101, but I have a show to do with your boss. Shall we, Mr. Whittaker?
John Whittaker: Park the car, will you Connie?
Connie Kendall: I'll be in as soon as I find a space.
Bryan Dern: Try the one between your ears, honey.
Connie Kendall: Trapped in an elevator with Bryan Dern — a fate worse than death!
Connie Kendall: Excuse me!
Benny Marks: There is no excuse for you!
Captain Richard Quinn: One thing you should know, Mr. Dern, is that the fellow who planted that bomb did it to protest your program.
Bryan Dern: Oh. Well, it's nice to know I'm popular.
Bryan Dern: Please, God, I don't wanna die!!!