The Chosen One, Part 1
A mysterious girl arrives at Whit's End and promptly makes a big impression. She plays the piano beautifully, gives Connie help on her book and even gives Ed Washington good parenting advice. But is there more to this young girl than meets the eye?
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »Kelly, a girl of about ten with a gift for playing the piano and a cigarette craving, is kicked out of the house by her mother and winds up in Whit's End.
She causes almost immediate chaos, convincing Eugene she has a 'magnetic' personality, giving Connie book advice, Ed Washington parenting advice, stealing ice cream and sixty-five dollars, erasing Connie's book, and threatening Tamika.
When she is confronted with the bad things she's done, she blurts out that they can't send her back to her mother, because her mother beats her, then runs out.
- There are no discussion questions listed for this episode. »
|Connie Kendall||Katie Leigh|
|Ed Washington||Mark Christopher Lawrence|
|Eugene Meltsner||Will Ryan|
|John Whittaker||Paul Herlinger|
|Tamika Washington||Courtney Brown|
- The writer of this show, Marshal Younger, had a special connection with this idea—he is a foster parent.
- The sound designer's son had a small part in this episode - he does a lovely snore about halfway through.
- If you listen closely during the second conversation between Eugene and Kelly about her supposed "magnetism," you can hear someone entering into the Imagination Station in the background.
QuotesConnie Kendall: I remember the first time my mom left me alone for two days. I was fourteen, and I invited all the—never mind; I wasn't a Christian.
Eugene Meltsner: ...she was suddenly and mysteriously drawn to the metal blinds in the library!