Blessings in Disguise
Brenda's pen pal, Thor Douglas, is coming to Odyssey. Unfortunately, Brenda hasn't been completely honest about herself in her letters to him.
Brenda Perry writes a letter to her pen pal Thor Douglas, full of (false) information about how intelligent, daring, and generally wonderful she is. Glenn Adams pops up and comments on the letter and the picture of her...that was taken at a glamour studio. Brenda tells him how wonderful Thor Douglas is, and informs Glenn that it's alright for her to lie about herself to this guy, since she'll never really meet him.
Just a few days later, she receives a package in the mail from Thor Douglas, who tells her that he's coming to Odyssey for a tennis game. Brenda goes nuts trying to get prepared to live up to her letters, from getting a makeover to renting a parachute. When Thor Douglas shows up, he believes her, but the truth eventually (at Connie's insistence) comes out, and in the midst of the chaos, Thor Douglas lets it out to Glenn that he's not Thor Douglas. He's twins, and he's just Douglas. His twin, Thor, who is really the tennis player, adds to the confusion. Eventually, the truth comes out, and neither Brenda, Douglas, nor Thor are very happy, with their pen pal(s) or themselves.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- Why did Brenda exaggerate the truth about herself?
- Why is trust so important in a friendship?
- Have you ever exaggerated the truth about yourself to anyone?
- What was the outcome?
|Brenda Perry||Jennifer Day|
|Connie Kendall||Katie Leigh|
|Glenn Adams||Ryan Devin|
|Mrs. Pate||Vaughn Taylor|
|Post Office Clerk||Dave Arnold|
- The premise of this episode, a pair of twins combining their personalities to impress a date, may have been borrowed from "The Lady and the Mountain Lion," a 10th-season episode of the classic Western TV series Bonanza.
- Connie mentions the Minnesota Twins, the Major League Baseball team.
QuotesThor Douglas: The thought of impressing Brenda makes me play even harder.
Glenn Adams: So, you're just not very good.
Beautician: Who did your makeup here, honey?
Brenda Perry: The photography place.
Beautician: I oughta hire them to do my spackling work in my basement.
Glenn Adams: Connie, I think they think they're the only ones in the room.
Connie Kendall: Maybe one of us should say something.
Glenn Adams: Yes, quickly. This is making me queasy... Give me a bucket!
Brenda Perry: Twins?
Glenn Adams: Ah, you noticed the resemblance, too.