The Ties That Bind, Part 3
Tensions abound for the Parker Family as they’re pulled in different directions. Wooton announces the creation of a new comic book series - sparking interest from a mysterious blogger called The Perilous Pen. And Connie has to navigate the emotional twists created by a distant family member.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
1. Is our family ever like the Parker family when they were on their way to church? Should we have a family meeting like the one they had? What do we need to do to keep from drifting apart as a family?
2. Should Sunday be any different from other days of the week? If so, how? Why?
3. When can visiting certain websites be dangerous? What rules do you think we should follow in our family? What rules should we have with things like social networks and the people we meet there?
4. Do you have any friends like Jules who don’t care about church? What can you say to them?
5. What does Wooton say will make his comic-book family good at solving mysteries? Is there something you’d like our family to work on together as a team?
6. Do you think it’s important for us to eat dinner together as a family? Why or why not?
Heard in episode
Mentioned in episode
- This is a main episode in The Ties That Bind (Saga).
- A family previously struggled with time to spend time together (and doing devotions) in #577: “The Business of Busyness”.
- Hadley refers to Wooton's Superman mobile.
- Penny's line "and I'd like water with that, but in a glass this time," might be a reference to the VeggieTales silly song "Sippy Cup".
- Jules's line comparing church and comic book fans; referring to them as "true believers" may be a play on one of comic book legend Stan Lee's catch phrases.
- The title 'Sleuth Family Robinson' is an allusion to The Swiss Family Robinson.
QuotesWooton Bassett: You're just in time, Hadley! Breakfast is served!
Hadley Bassett: Waffles?
Wooton Bassett: Mmm...kinda. They started off as waffles, but turned into something that looked more like yellow pancakes. Just smother it in syrup and you'll never know the difference.
Hadley Bassett: Thanks.
Wooton Bassett: Do you hear that Perilous Pen? No snooping around!
Hadley Bassett: You realize you've now challenged the Perilous Pen to find out more?
Wooton Bassett: I did? Uh-oh. Is it to late to retract that?
Hadley Bassett: Yes!
Wooton Bassett: Oops.