- Tom redirects here. For other uses, see Tom (disambiguation)
Thomas Dale Riley Jr., best known by his nickname, Tom, is a resident of Odyssey who has been around since the very first Family Portraits episode, FP #01: "Whit's Visitor". Tom was born in Marion, Indiana (or Odyssey according to Clubhouse Magazine); he lives on and owns a large apple farm, which he inherited from his father. In #202: “Timmy's Cabin”, Tom learns that at least some of the apple trees on his farm were originally sown by Johnny Appleseed. Tom has also been the mayor of Odyssey, a little league coach, and has served on various boards in the town of Odyssey. Tom never dreamed he would accomplish combining his small town idealism with big town effects.
Tom's political life expanded after his friends urged him to run for mayor (#286: “Tom for Mayor, Part 1” & #287: “Tom for Mayor, Part 2”). Unfortunately, Tom's time as mayor was plagued with troubles brought on by the Blackgaard saga. After his term expired, Tom returned to farming, but was eventually inspired by the memory of his late son Timmy to create a recreation center at his farm for kids from the inner city. Prior to his term as mayor, Tom served as a City Councilman.
See Riley family Tom's second wife, Agnes Riley, is mentally ill and is living at Hillingdale Haven. They have been married for 38 years as of 2014; Tom married her after losing his first wife to cancer. He also had a son, Timmy Riley, who drowned in a boating accident before Tom remarried; he started the Timothy Center after his son died and named it in his honor. Tom is the brother of Rebecca Riley and the son of Tom Riley Sr.; he also has a great-niece, Jami Martin.
Tom is good friends with John Whittaker, Bernard Walton, and many others. Tom Riley gets along well with kids and he's always willing to give advice to them, if needed. Tom isn't big on technology or fancy words and, especially in the earlier seasons, is frequently at odds with Eugene on those subjects. After the debut of Bernard Walton, Tom and Eugene were portrayed as less-adversarial friends.
- See Tom Riley's farm
Tom has a family farm that is a key location in several episodes. Besides being the location of the Timothy Center, it's also where Novacom built a communications tower. The farm is located a fair distance out of Odyssey, since when Whit picks up Aubrey Shepard in #418: “Opening Day”, they have time for a conversation in the car before getting to Odyssey.
- Tom once sold bad apples—by accident. (#128: “One Bad Apple”)
- The ring-tone of Tom's cell phone is "Old McDonald Had a Farm". (#570: “For Better or For Worse, Part 1”)
- Tom collects old soda pop cans.
- Tom once got a five-legged dog for Christmas named Cheddar. #581: “A Christmas Conundrum”
- Tom went to jail for a short period of time after having been accused of wiring an explosive to destroy the Novacom tower on his property. (#497: “Expect the Worst”, #498: “Exactly as Planned”)
- Tom is 5 feet 11 inches.
- Tom has brown eyes.
- Tom used to be part of a vaudeville team with his friend Andrew Kiley, but declined an invitation to perform at a dinner theatre because he felt they weren't ready. (#553: “Potential Possibilities”)
- Tom's favorite food is cheese.
See Riley quotes
Tom running for Mayor.