The Black Veil, Part 1
What in the world is going on? First Alex Jefferson has a fit at Whit's End when Nick puts nuts on his sundae. His mom thinks it due to watching movies late at a friend's house in Odenton, but Alex says he's having weird dreams where he's a monster.
Meanwhile in Alaska, Jason Whittaker stops in to find that a church there is having violent problems. His friend Walter tells him that half the church is acting angry and hurtful. Jason can't understand what's going on, but suggests they start praying immediately. Soon after, Sam Hitchcock arrives to install a satellite system in the home where Jason is staying.
Back in Odyssey, Nick Mulligan takes out his rage on the dishwasher. Whit is mystified. He goes to the Mulligans and gets an apology from Nick. Mike Mulligan thinks that the "Odenten bug" is causing all the violence. Just as they're talking, Mr. Sneed, the Mulligan's neighbor, drives his truck through their barn. When a police officer shows up to question Mr. Sneed, they find his house practically destroyed. Sneed tells them he destroyed the house because he couldn't help it.
In Alaska, Jason has problems of his own. A husband and wife say they are splitting up. When Jason and Walter go to visit, Mickie gets angry and starts tearing up his house. Jason tackles him and takes him to the hospital. Once there, however, a police officer tells him that Sam Hitchcock threw a TV out his window and is asking for Jason. When they show up at the house, Sam is huddled in a closet. Sam says he infected the entire city with the boxes. Jason tells him to come to the doctors. Ominously, Sam cries, "You're treating the symptoms. The disease will destroy us all!" The story continues in part II...
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- There are no discussion questions listed for this episode. »
Heard in episode
Mentioned in episode
|Sarah Prachett||Connie Kendall|
|Eugene Meltsner||Connie Kendall|
|Lisa Mulligan||Mike Mulligan|
|Janelle Mulligan||Mike Mulligan|
|Jessica Mulligan||Mike Mulligan|
|Hector Mulligan||Mike Mulligan|
|Bridget Becker||Walter Madison|
- VERSION DIFFERENCE: [view] The broadcast version of this episode included a "Fun Fact" about the many voices of Chad Reisser.
- PARENTAL WARNING: Due to the intensity of several scenes in this show (mainly because of the scenes where the people using the cable boxes get angry rather intensively), it isn't recommended for younger children. Recommended maturity level: Ages 8 and up.
- In his first scene of the episode, Jason references his trip to South America in #474 – #475: “Shining Armor”.
- This episode takes place away from Odyssey: Episodes That Take Place Away from Odyssey
Jason Whittaker: Walter, what's going on here?
Walter Madison: All I can conclude is that we are in the middle of a spiritual battle.
Jason Whittaker: Spiritual battle, alright. Seems to be a lot of that going around lately. I was in the middle of one in South America recently and believe me, I have learned my lesson. I know exactly what to do.
Walter Madison: What's that?
Jason Whittaker: Drop to our knees right now and pray.
Walter Madison: I agree.
Jason Whittaker: Okay, Sam—calm down. I'll tell you what. I'll get rid of the TV if you come with me to the doctor.
Sam Hitchcock: No, no. You're treating the symptoms. The disease will destroy us all!