Stars in Our Eyes
Whit gets a special opportunity to have a TV commercial made for Whit's End! So the big question is...what is the commercial going to say? First, Wooton comes up with a commercial that has nothing to do with Whit's End, then Connie comes up with a big upbeat commercial, Tom Riley comes up with a calm, homespun commercial, and Bart Rathbone comes up with a commercial that actually promotes the Electric Palace. Whit suggests that everyone puts their ideas together. The creation of a crazy commercial comes together. After long discussions about commercial ideas and input from Davey Holcomb, old friend of Whit and maker of the commercial, everyone figures out what truly makes Whit's End so great.
Meanwhile, Tamika is working on a paper that describes her hero. She chooses her favorite movie star. Whit helps her define what a hero is and actually allows her to have a phone conversation with the star herself! Tamika learns an important lesson on what a true hero should look like, someone who truly impacts your life and makes you better.
In the end the commercial comes together as a combination of everyone's ideas and everyone learns a lesson on what really makes someone a hero.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- Why didn't Davey like the gang's idea for a commercial?
- Why did Tamika choose Whit for her hero?
- Do you have any heroes in your life?
|Connie Kendall||Katie Leigh|
|Davey Holcomb||Luke Graham|
|John Whittaker||Paul Herlinger|
|Sydney Sellica||Tammy Coffin|
|Tamika Washington||Courtney Brown|
|Tom Riley||Walker Edmiston|
|Wooton Bassett||Jess Harnell|
|Bart Rathbone||Walker Edmiston|
VERSION DIFFERENCE: [view] Various lines were cut from the broadcast version of this episode.
- This episode marks the return of Davey Holcomb, who appeared in #1: “Whit's Flop”, 17 years before this episode. Interestingly, this is the second episode in the Fall 2004 season to feature a reference to "Whit's Flop."
- The character of Sydney Sellica is a reference to Sydney Bristow, a similar character played by Jennifer Garner on the television show "Alias."
- Sydney Sellica's quote about smoking is the same quote made by real-life actress Brooke Shields.
- Connie's complaint about the sweater she wore in the commercial is similar to a complaint she had about a sweater she wore in the video taken of the chess game in #396: “Poor Loser”.
QuotesSydney Sellica: I love that my movies appeal to everyone - even people who are poor or still wear tie dye!
Sydney Sellica: I stand against smoking. Never start smoking, Tamika. Smoking kills, and if you're killed you've lost a very important part of your life!
Connie Kendall: Hey, this is the place where Whit makes his sundaes at a pretty competitive price. But that is nothing compared to the superendous prices at the Electric Palace!
Connie Kendall: So why might you be depressed?
Wooton Bassett: Well, I just finished the latest issue of Powerboy and it was the one where he finally faced the three-eyed fish monster but it ended with him strapped in Dr. Ichobodia's torture chair and his power suit was disabled and he had no way to contact headquarters. I don't know how he'll ever get out of it.
Connie Kendall: So that's why you're depressed?
Wooton Bassett: Oh my brain hurts just thinking about it.