Rodney P. Rathbone is a main character in Adventures in Odyssey, voiced by Steve Burns. He is the son of Odyssey schemer Bart Rathbone, and while the two conflict at times, the son is clearly a chip off the old block. Rodney and his father have an interesting relationship; Rodney always refers to his father as "Pop", with his father always responding with "don't call me Pop" (although in #115: “An Act of Mercy”, Rodney called Bart "Dad" instead).
Rodney's primary role is that of the mischievous local bully and head of the Bones of Rath, a gang of teenagers who cause trouble but commit few serious crimes — except for the Darkness Before Dawn segment of the Blackgaard saga, during which they commit numerous acts of vandalism and are party to an attempted murder. He was not the leader of the gang at that time, however. Rodney spent time in jail due to his participation in Blackgaard's schemes and found the experience miserable due to the lack of TV and the habit of all the other inmates calling him "sissy" (#368: “The Other Woman”). Nevertheless, he was back in charge of the Bones within the next two years (#390: “No Bones About It”).
Rodney is troublesome to most AIO protagonists but is generally received without excessive rebuke (as is his father Bart); thus, he appears routinely at Whit's End — though on occasion he's been kicked out, which was once discussed in the episode #467: “Broken Window”.
Although Rodney is clearly content with his status as the resident bully and has no desire to change, his attitude has occasionally softened enough to accept correction or admit error (#443: “Changing Rodney”, #115: “An Act of Mercy”, #189: “No, Honestly!”).
Rodney is one of four non-adult characters on AIO who clearly age more slowly than others (the others are Connie Kendall, Lucy Cunningham-Schultz and Mandy Straussberg). Rodney is a teenage bully all the way from his first appearance in #108: “Isaac the Courageous” (1990 Season) to his latest, #623: “Buddy Guard” (2007 Season), with no noticeable change in age, even while his peers clearly age faster than he does. Like most teenagers, Rodney struggles with acne (#480: “The Popsicle Kid”).
Family and Friends
- See Rathbone family.
Rodney's dad is Bart and his mother is Doris. His cousin is Scrubb Moseley, whose mother is also heard in the episode (#216: “Like Father, Like Son”), and at least one other younger cousin as revealed by Doris in #258: “Aloha, Oy!, Part 3”. Rodney also has an Uncle Louie who was a lawyer and in jail for a period of time (#467: “Broken Window”), and he also is revealed to have an Uncle Lanny who was at one time in prison (#243: “Family Values”, #528: “The Taming of the Two”). It's also mentioned that he has a grandmother who uses a cane (#214: “The Living Nativity”), and an Aunt (or possibly Great-Aunt) Agatha (#287: “Tom for Mayor, Part 2”).
While the Bones of Wrath have traditionally been Rodney's closest circle of friends, Rusty Gordon is arguably Rodney's best friend, having shown Rodney genuine loyalty that the other Bones have not (#332: “Another Chance”). The two spent time together even away from the other members of the gang (#259: “The Potential in Elliot”) and were seen as being friends by others in town (#343: “The Pretty Good Samaritan”).
Rodney has appeared in the following albums:
- Album 07: On Thin Ice (1 episode)
- Album 08: Beyond Expectations (2 episodes)
- Album 11: It's Another Fine Day... (1 episode)
- Album 13: It All Started When... (4 episodes)
- Album 15: A Place of Wonder (1 episode)
- Album 16: Flights of Imagination (2 episodes)
- Album 17: On Earth as It Is in Heaven (1 episode)
- Album 18: A Time of Discovery (1 episode)
- Album 19: Passport to Adventure (5 episodes)
- Album 23: Twists and Turns (3 episodes)
- Album 25: Darkness Before Dawn (7 episodes)
- Album 28: Welcome Home! (1 episode)
- Album 30: Through Thick and Thin (3 episodes)
- Album 33: Virtual Realities (1 episode)
- Album 34: In Your Wildest Dreams (1 episode)
- Album 36: Danger Signals (4 episodes)
- Album 38: Battle Lines (1 episode)
- Album 39: Friends, Family, and Countrymen (2 episodes)
- Album 40: Out of Control (1 episode)
- Album 41: In Hot Pursuit (1 episode)
- Album 43: Along for the Ride (3 episodes)
- Album 46: A Date with Dad (and Other Calamities) (1 episode)
- Album 49: The Sky's the Limit (1 episode)
Rodney has appeared on the front cover of the following albums:
- Album 19: Passport to Adventure
- Album 23: Twists and Turns
- Bothersome Bullies (sampler album)
- Life Lessons 05: Peer Pressure
Rodney has appeared on the back cover of the following albums:
- See Rathbone quotes.