Album 50: The Best Small Town
The Best Small Town is the 50th Adventures in Odyssey mainstream album. The album follows Odyssey as it enters the Best Small Town Contest. Album 50 was the last album to be released before the Odyssey team took its second hiatus from 2008 until 2010. It was released in 2008. Its episodes began airing on the radio starting on March 1, 2008 and finished on May 17, 2008.
|“||It's time for the annual "Best Small Town in America" national competition, and Odyssey's in the running! This special occasion brings together a hometown reunion of long-lost friends, like Jimmy Barclay, Lucy Cunningham-Schultz, and Edwin Blackgaard. But who knows how far everyone will go to take the title? Your family won't want to miss these stories with old-fashioned fun!||”|
Bonus material includes:
- A fold out behind-the-scenes poster
- A tribute to Walker Edmiston, including a photo gallery on CD-ROM and an 8-minute audio tribute (an extended podcast version of the audio tribute in the 14th Official Podcast.)
- A deleted scene with Robyn Jacobs on Candid Conversations with Connie
- Many deleted lines and scenes in the episodes themselves
Album 50 marks the last mainstream album appearance of the recurring characters listed below, although many of them had not made an appearance for quite some time before album 50.
- Tom Riley (134 episodes)
- Bernard Walton (87 episodes) (♦)
- Lucy Cunningham-Schultz (75 episodes) (♦)
- Bart Rathbone (72 episodes)
- Mandy Straussberg (51 episodes) (♦)
- Robyn Jacobs (29 episodes) (♦)
- Tamika Washington (26 episodes)
- Bryan Dern (26 episodes)
- Jared DeWhite (24 episodes)
- Jack Davis (24 episodes) (♦)
- Lawrence Hodges (20 episodes)
- Grady McKay (18 episodes)
- Trent DeWhite (18 episodes)
- Elaine Washington (17 episodes)
- Walter Shakespeare (17 episodes)
- Curt Stevens (14 episodes)
- Tasha Forbes (10 episodes)
- Margaret Faye (10 episodes)
- Officer Stew Burke (10 episodes)
- Kelly (10 episodes)
Note: (♦) indicates that The character made an appearance in #???: “B-TV: Live!”
Marvin Washington, Ed Washington, Philip Glossman, Edwin Blackgaard left the series until #817: “Unfair Game”, #852: “The Toy”, #???: “30th Birthday Live Show”, and #769: “B-TV: To Tell the Truth”, respectively.
Episode title allusions
The title of each episode in album alludes to the title one or more past Odyssey episodes, most of which were included in the Gold Audio Series.
- The Used Battery price of $6.42 on the cover is a reference to the last episode of this album being episode #642.
- It is said in the album that there are over 20 characters hidden on the cover. An interactive version of the poster which displays the character's name when rolled over can be found here.
A modified version of the art to honor astronaut Terry Virts, who brought the album For God and Country into space.