Amanda "Mandy" Straussberg is a major, long-running kid character best known around Odyssey for her talent in writing stories and plays. She has written three plays put on in the Little Theater at Whit's End (#448: “Mandy's Debut”) and a play for Kids' Radio—#453: “The Great Wishy Woz”.
Although Lucy Cunningham-Schultz is the longest-running child character by number of episodes, Mandy is the longest-running by number of seasons.
Family and Friends
- Main article: Straussberg family
Mandy's parents are Stephen Straussberg and Rachel Straussberg, and her brother is David Straussberg. Her parents separated for a time, which was hard on Mandy (the problems affecting her as far back as #580: “Tales of a Small-Town Thug”). Fortunately, they have reconciled, and now Mandy's character is back to normal.
It was revealed in #560: “The Present Long Ago” that Mandy will one day marry Odyssey Middle School's other top student, Trent DeWhite, as the result of Trent delivering her a valentine that was really from Max Hampton. As of #636: “A Class Reenactment”, she and Trent are only close friends, though many Odyssey characters, such as Connie, believe they're more than friends. She will have at least one child and two grandchildren, one named Brandon, and her brother-in-law upon her marriage will be Jared DeWhite.
Known for being sweet, Mandy tends to get along well with every other kid in town, and tries to be friendly even when her peers ignore her (#427: “Something Cliqued Between Us”) or when their name is Jared (#478: “Strange Boy in a Strange Land”). She ends up being best friends with Liz Horton.
Like Rodney Rathbone and Connie Kendall, Mandy seems to have a very fluid age. In the 1998 episode #392: “When In Doubt...Pray!”, she goes to school and thus seems to be at least 5 or 6 years old. Several weeks later in #397: “Tornado!”, she had a doll named "Polly" and seems to be about 4 or 5 years old. Six years later in #555: “True Calling”, she mentions that she is fourteen years old. Nevertheless, two years later in #597: “Out of Our Hands” reveals that her last birthday was her twelfth.
- She cannot go swimming as a result of a peeling skin condition (#602: “Mum's the Word”)
- She is allergic to onions (#602: “Mum's the Word”)
- She used to suck her thumb when she was really stressed (#417: “Not-So-Trivial Pursuits”)
- She always chooses the top hat in Monopoly (#603: “The Family Next Door”)
- She once did the interior decorating for a snow fort—complete with calico curtains (#466: “Snow Day”)
- She has a Powder Puff Pamela collector's jacket (#466: “Snow Day”)
- Her favorite dessert is chocolate fudge ice cream cake (#603: “The Family Next Door”)
- She used to sell Sunshine Girl Cookies (#597: “Out of Our Hands”)
- She has never gotten a B in school (#531: “Teacher's Pest”)
- Max Hampton had a crush on her (#560: “The Present Long Ago”).
- She likes tree swings (#478: “Strange Boy in a Strange Land”).
From art for Album #34: In Your Wildest Dreams.