- Sam redirects here. For other uses see Sam (disambiguation).
Samuel "Sam" Johnson is the perpetual 'good boy' who always tries to do right. His confusion over why bad kids get all the attention was covered in #263: “When Bad Isn't So Good”. Sam hangs around with Lucy Cunningham-Schultz, who is just like him. He used to be friends with Butch, but when Butch joined the Bones of Rath, the friendship soured.
Sam was briefly involved in the Israelites. At one point, his sister Kelly also convinced Sam to join the kids' choir at church after mentioning that his voice was good and shouldn't be put to waste (#243: “Family Values”). He won the Academic Olympics one year prior to #337: “W-O-R-R-Y”, indicating his academic finesse; however, in that same episode it was also revealed that he is a poor speller.
|“||Sam Johnson: You know it’s times like this when I wish I was a superhero. Then I could catch these guys before they do stuff like this.
Connie Kendall: <laughing> Yeah, that's just what we need—Super Sam!
Sam Johnson: Dum da daaa!
|“||Bruno Beltser: I've seen better swings in the monkey cage at the zoo!
Sam Johnson: Leave your relatives out of this!
|“||Rusty Gordon (Malone) : Here's some money, Mr. Whittaker. Uh, keep the change.
John Whittaker: Uh, thanks, Rusty.
Sam Johnson: They're up to something...
John Whittaker: They sure are. He was 15 cents short.
|“||Rodney Rathbone: Leave him alone. What'd you do to him?
Sam Johnson: He didn't do anything to him Rodney. Look. Something came out of his eyes.
Rodney Rathbone: Gross. It looks like fish scales.
|“||Sam Johnson: On my homework yesterday, I spelled my name with two L’s! I'm going crazy!
Kim Peterson: Your name doesn't have an L in it.
Sam Johnson: See! That's my point! I'm going crazy!
|“||Harlow Doyle: A brilliant idea!
Sam Johnson: What?
Harlow Doyle: That's what we need, a brilliant idea.
|“||Rusty Gordon (Malone): Would you like it if someone bad-mouthed your dad?
Sam Johnson: You did one time.
Rusty Gordon (Malone): Uhhhhh... did you like it?
Sam Johnson: No!
Rusty Gordon (Malone): Well, neither do I.
|“||Sam Johnson: You're throwing away your Disney Read-A-Long records? You think they're impure?
Isaac Morton: I don't know. Better safe than sorry, I figure.
Sam Johnson: Bambi?!
Isaac Morton: Who knows how this stuff might influence me at weak moments.
|“||Sam Johnson: I got a new bike. It's a 10-speed.
Brian Evans: Oh, boy, I bet it goes fast.
Sam Johnson: It does, I even got a speedometer for my birthday. I got it up to almost forty-five miles an hour once going downhill.
Brian Evans: Really? Can a person breathe going that fast?
|“||Sam Johnson: Nice mask. Last time I saw that kind of get-up was at Halloween.
|“||Jason Whittaker: So what do you say, Sam? Ya wanna try the program?
Sam Johnson: Yeah, sure.
Jason Whittaker: Great! At last, a victim.
|“||Bernard Walton: Is that the only reason you wanna do good things—to get noticed?
Sam Johnson: No, I wanna do them because I know it's right. But being right all the time doesn't get me praise from teachers or free ice cream from Whit's End!
Bernard Walton: So what?
Sam Johnson: Huh?
Bernard Walton: You heard me; so what? Sam, doing good is its own reward, and I got news for you: it always pays off! Sometimes in ways you can't see—in fact, most times in ways you can't see. But it always does, because doing what's right pleases God! And that's the most important thing, now, isn't it?
|“||Rodney Rathbone: Please, do I look like the kind of person who would try to profit from my fellow student's misfortunes?
Sam Johnson: In a heartbeat.
Rodney Rathbone: Eh, you know me pretty good, don't cha?
|“||Sam Johnson: Did you know that one meaning of the Greek words for compassion is to be moved down to the pit of your stomach? Sort of like having a gut feeling.
|“||Sam Johnson: Mr. Whittaker, I can't believe I caused all of that. Just because I didn't keep my mouth shut.
John Whittaker: Well, most of us suffer from that problem. It's easy to criticize, to pour cold water on people's ideas and dreams. But encouraging people, even those that want to do seemingly impossible things, can be very hard. Yet, it's probably what they need from us the most.
|“||Sam Johnson: What did the mother bullet say to the daddy bullet?
Rodney Rathbone: What?
Sam Johnson: We're gonna have a be-be!
|“||Sam Johnson: Hey! There's something here I didn't notice before! Look!
Harlow Doyle: By George, you're right! It's... dirt?
|“||Sam Johnson: Why didn't they play cards on Noah's ark?
Courtney Vincent: Why?
Sam Johnson: Because Noah sat on the deck!
|“||Rusty Gordon: You really don't know any [dirty jokes]?
Sam Johnson: No.
Rusty Gordon: Well, maybe you can make one up. Let me help you. Try to think of the three most disgusting things you've ever heard of.
Sam Johnson: What?
Rusty Gordon: Okay, I got mine. You got yours?
Sam Johnson: No.
Rusty Gordon: All right, I'll let you use mine. Number one...
Sam Johnson: <interrupting> I don't wanna hear this.
Rusty Gordon: You know, you're really not getting into the spirit of this. Maybe we need to smear some pimento cheese or something on your face. That'll get you thinking disgusting thoughts.
|“||Sam Johnson: I'm Sam Johnson, and I don't do anything. I'm a kid!
Harlow Doyle: Is that with an "i" or a "y"?
Sam Johnson: "Kid" is spelled with an "i."
Harlow Doyle: Oh. Well I was talking about "Johnson," but since you brought it up...
|“||Sam Johnson: What man in the Bible had no parents?
Courtney Vincent: I give up.
Sam Johnson: Joshua, the son of Nun!
|“||Sam Johnson: All I know is that I'd still be your friend if you quit being Butch and started being Brian again.
Brian Evans: Brian's gone.
Sam Johnson: That's too bad. Let me know if he comes back. I miss him.
|“||Harlow Doyle: Sounds like you need a detective! Want me to help you find one?
Sam Johnson: What about you?
Harlow Doyle: Well... okay. Though I wouldn't advise it.
|“||Sam Johnson: We recorded a tape of the agents confessing that they rigged the test results!
Philip Glossman: Excuse me! Ah, hold on, hold on. Philip Glossman here. On behalf of the state government, I demand that you give me that tape.
Eugene Meltsner: With all due respect, Mr. Glossman... we'd rather make two dozen copies, and then give you the tape!
|“||Sam Johnson: You think Mr. Riley will lose the election over this?
Eugene Meltsner: I'm afraid he'll lose more than the election, Sam.
|“||Harlow Doyle: A peculiar-looking fellow with shifty eyes.
Sam Johnson: It looked like Eugene from here.
Harlow Doyle: It looked like Eugene up close, too!
|“||Harlow Doyle: Mr. Whittaker isn't sick, but being held captive against his will!
Sam Johnson: By Eugene?
Harlow Doyle: One and the same. I know the type -- meek and passive on the outside. But inside rages the violent fires of a volcano, ready to explode in a colorful cataclysm of -- Uh, what was I talking about?
Sam Johnson has appeared in the following albums:
- Family Portraits
- The Lost Episodes (3 episodes)
- Album 01: The Adventure Begins
- Album 02: The Wildest Summer Ever
- Album 03: Heroes
- Album 04: FUN-damentals
- Album 05: Daring Deeds, Sinister Schemes
- Album 06: Mission: Accomplished
- Album 07: On Thin Ice
- Album 08: Beyond Expectations
- Album 09: Just in Time
- Album 10: Other Times, Other Places
- Album 11: It’s Another Fine Day...
- Album 12: At Home and Abroad
- Album 13: It All Started When... (2 episodes)
- Album 14: Meanwhile, in Another Part of Town
- Album 15: A Place of Wonder
- Album 16: Flights of Imagination (1 episode)
- Album 17: On Earth as It Is in Heaven (2 episodes)
- Album 18: A Time of Discovery (2 episodes)
- Album 19: Passport to Adventure (4 episodes)
- Album 20: A Journey of Choices (1 episode)
- Album 21: Wish You Were Here! (1 episode)
- Album 22: The Changing Times (2 episodes)
- Album 23: Twists and Turns (4 episodes)
- Album 24: Risks and Rewards (1 episode)
- Album 25: Darkness Before Dawn (5 episodes)
- Album 26: Back on the Air (2 episodes)
- Album 27: The Search for Whit (3 episodes)
- Album 28: Welcome Home! (2 episodes)
- Album 29: Signed, Sealed and Committed
- Album 30: Through Thick and Thin
- Album 31: Days to Remember
- Album 32: Hidden Treasures
- Album 33: Virtual Realities
- Album 34: In Your Wildest Dreams
- Album 35: The Big Picture
- Album 36: Danger Signals
- Album 37: Countermoves
- Album 38: Battle Lines
- Album 39: Friends, Family, and Countrymen
- Album 40: Out of Control
- Album 41: In Hot Pursuit
- Album 42: No Way Out
- Album 43: Along for the Ride
- Album 44: Eugene Returns!
- Album 45: Lost and Found
- Album 46: A Date with Dad (and Other Calamities)
- Album 47: Into the Light
- Album 48: Moment of Truth
- Album 49: The Sky’s the Limit
- Album 50: The Best Small Town
- The Truth Chronicles
- Passages: Darien’s Rise
- Album 51: Take it From the Top
- Album 52: Cause and Effect
- Album 53: The Green Ring Conspiracy
- Album 54: Clanging Cymbals...and the Meaning of God's Love
- Album 55: The Deep End
- Album 56: The Grand Design
- Album 57: A Call to Something More
- Album 58: The Ties That Bind
- Album 59: Taking the Plunge
- Album 60: Head Over Heels
- Album 61: Without a Hitch
- Album 62: Let’s Put on a Show!
- Album 63: Up in the Air
- Album 64: Under the Surface
- Album 65: Expect the Unexpected
- Album 66: Trial by Fire
- Album 67: More Than Meets the Eye
- Album 68: Out of the Blue
- Album 69: Best Kept Secrets
- Album 70: Finding a Way
- Album 71: Untitled 71st Album
Sam Johnson has appeared in the following club seasons:
- Odyssey Adventure Club: Season 1
- Odyssey Adventure Club: Season 2
- Odyssey Adventure Club: Season 3
- Adventures in Odyssey Club: Season 4
- Adventures in Odyssey Club: Season 5
- Adventures in Odyssey Club: Season 6
- 30th Birthday Live Show (album)
- Adventures in Odyssey Club: Season 7
- Adventures in Odyssey Club: Season 8
- Aventuras en Odisea: Volumen 1
- Aventuras en Odisea: Volumen 2
- Aventuras en Odisea: Volumen 3
- Daily Bible Readings (album)
- Hope in Trying Times (2 episodes)
- Odyssey Adventure Club: Season 1 Soundtrack
- Odyssey Adventure Club: Season 2 Soundtrack
- Odyssey Adventure Club: Season 3 Soundtrack
- Adventures in Odyssey Club: Season 4 Soundtrack
- Adventures in Odyssey Club: Season 5 Soundtrack
- Adventures in Odyssey Club: Season 6 Soundtrack
- The Leonard Meltsner Saga
- The Officer Harley Collection