The Scales of Justice
Current user rating: 95/100% (41 votes)
“The Scales of Justice” is episode #182 of the Adventures in Odyssey audio series. It was written and directed by Phil Lollar, and originally aired on February 15, 1992.
Isaac Morton finds a bag filled with money and wants to keep it, but it's up to Judge Eugene Meltsner to determine what will happen to the loot.
It all started one afternoon. While walking through the woods near Gower’s Field, Isaac Morton literally stumbles across a plastic bag filled with $2,000. He takes it back to Whit’s End. Whit advises him to take it to the police, and Isaac does. He files a “found property report” and waits for 90 days to see if someone claims the property. But on the 89th day, Rodney Rathbone appears! He claims the money is his and says that Isaac tried to steal it!
The police know that Rodney is obviously lying. So, because of the special circumstances surrounding the case, and in the interest of giving the kids at Whit’s End a civics lesson, Captain O’Ryan of the Odyssey Police Department agrees to let the matter be settled in a mock trial, held at Whit’s End. Whit serves as Isaac’s lawyer, and Bart serves as Rodney’s. Connie is the bailiff, and Eugene presides over the court as judge.
Rodney and Isaac state their sides in the matter.
In the end, Eugene decides that the money is Rodney’s. Rodney and Bart are thrilled, while Isaac wonders if justice really does exist. It does, but not always in the ways we expect.
In a news report, we learn that the money was, in fact, counterfeit, and Bart and Rodney have been taken to the police station for questioning.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- Do you think Eugene made the right decision?
- Was justice ultimately served in this case?
- What does God say about justice?
Heard in episode
Mentioned in episode
|June Kendall||Connie Kendall|
- This episode is one of very few not to feature Chris in the intro. Whit performs Chris's announcement here instead.
- The middle of the program contains an interruption by "Sherlock, Odyssey's Super Sleuth", who gives some facts about skin. This was put in because of Phil Lollar's love for science. He was going to keep putting them in future episodes, but it never got off the ground. The idea was brought back during "Did You Know?" segments of B-TV Episodes. Unfortunately, the short is not included in subsequent airings of this episode.
- “Professor Sherlock” was Odyssey's first Short, paving the way for more in the 1999 and 2000 seasons.
- Isaac's rescue of Rodney Rathbone's from the Gower Barn as referenced in this episode was featured in #121: “Missing Person”.
- This episode is related to the Green Ring Conspiracy (Saga). The events of the episode are alluded to in #682: “The Green Ring Conspiracy, Part 4”, when Whit mentions to Monty Whittaker that there was "a situation (regarding counterfeit money) a few years ago, but it didn't lead to anything."
Connie Kendall: Representing Rathbone is, uh, Rathbone!
Patrick O'Ryan: Peacocks and pelicans, no!
Eugene Meltsner: Young Rathbone, you'll have the chance to tell your side of the story later. But for now, you will keep your muscles immobile and your oral cavity tightly sealed!
Rodney Rathbone: Huh?
Connie Kendall: He means, keep still and be quiet.
Eugene Meltsner: I believe I said that.
- Episodes aired 18 times
- Episodes in Album 13: It All Started When...
- 1992 Season Episodes
- Episodes sorted alphabetically
- Episodes sorted chronologically
- Episodes hosted by Chris Anthony
- Episodes written by Phil Lollar
- Episodes directed by Phil Lollar
- Episodes produced by Paul McCusker
- Episodes with sound design by Bob Luttrell
- Episodes with music by Library
- Episodes recorded at Unknown
- Episodes engineered by Bob Luttrell
- Episodes executive produced by Chuck Bolte
- Episodes in Album 12: It All Started When...
- Episodes in Classics 02: A Maze of Mysteries
- Episodes in Megapack
- Episodes with Character (Whit) intro
- Episodes with Previews intro
- Episodes with Empty wraps
- Episodes with Normal wraps
- Episodes with theme of Justice
- Mystery Episodes
- Episodes with references from Psalm
- Episodes that include shorts
- Episodes containing Super Sleuth - Your Skin
- Episodes produced by Bob Luttrell
- Episodes with promos
- Episodes with samples
- Episodes on CBD
- Episodes on iTunes
- Episodes on Amazon
- Episodes on AIOHQ
- Episodes on the Odyssey Library
- Episodes on the Odyssey Scoop
- Episodes on the Soda Fountain
- Episodes with Isaac Morton
- Episodes with Rodney Rathbone
- Episodes with John Whittaker
- Episodes with Bart Rathbone
- Episodes with Eugene Meltsner
- Episodes with Connie Kendall
- Episodes that mention June Kendall