Like a Good Neighbor
“Like a Good Neighbor,” an Adventures in Odyssey Club exclusive, is episode #745 of the Adventures in Odyssey audio series. It was written and directed by Nathan Hoobler, and was originally released on July 1, 2014.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- What makes your neighborhood special?
- Do you have a favorite neighbor? What types of relationships do you have with the various people living closest to you?
- How has technology—from automatic garage door openers to social media—made it easier or harder to connect with people?
- Have you ever had a person on your block who, like Mrs. Kramer, was hard to love? Talk about ways you might be able to give that real-life relationship another try.
- What did you enjoy most about "Like a Good Neighbor"? Can you remember which characters tried to be good neighbors?
- Have you ever attempted to do something nice for someone living nearby? How did that turn out?
- Has a neighbor ever reached out in kindness to you? If so, how did that make you feel?
- What do you think Jesus meant when He said we should love our neighbors "as ourself"?
Heard in episode
Mentioned in episode
|Eva Parker||Red Hollard|
|Matthew Parker||Olivia Parker|
|Katrina Meltsner||Olivia Parker|
- The title of this episode is possibly a reference to the State Farm Insurance slogan "Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there."
- Detective Polehaus says that Red Hollard left his door open as though he lived in Mayberry, a reference to The Andy Griffith Show.
- Detective Polehaus's observation that good neighbors are made by "big locks and tall fences" was first made by poet Robert Frost in his poem "Mending Wall".
- Wally Haggler references "that slug thing on Star Wars" (Jabba the Hutt).
- See main article List of Star Wars references
- Wally Haggler refers to fairy tale character Rumpelstilskin.
- Wooton's line "So the cops copped the copper crooks and cracked the caper" is probably a reference to the Jack Webb / Johnny Carson "Copper Clappers" bit.
- There are several mentions by characters to The Green Ring Conspiracy.
Mrs. Kramer: Kids should not be seen or heard if you ask me.
Wooton Bassett: Sometimes my tongue moves before my brain wakes up.