It's a Wrap!
We’re back on Kids Radio again. This time, Lucy Cunningham-Schultz takes the microphone to Whit’s End for a day to follow John Avery Whittaker as he adjusts to life off the mission field. Lucy and Glenn, who is also reporting, catch up with Whit at breakfast at Hal's Diner, where he eats and reads his Bible. From there, he goes to Whit’s End, where Connie and Eugene are waiting for him, and getting into one of their famous “discussions.” After helping to resolve things, Whit talks to Lucy about Connie and Eugene. He describes how Connie has matured and how Eugene’s faith has changed him for the better.
Next, we follow Whit as he helps Sam Johnson solve an ethical problem about what to do with the wallet he found, as he works on the Imagination Station, then deals with Harlow Doyle. Whit finally ends up taking Connie to the emergency room when she cuts her finger deep after being surprised by Harlow and needs stitches. Whit wraps things up by telling Lucy how he thanks God for letting him share with the families who come to visit at Whit’s End, for his enriching friends, and for another day of living in God’s grace. As for what the next day will be like? Whit says it will probably be pretty typical, meaning unpredictable. Which is just the way he likes it.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- Whit reads his Bible at breakfast. When do you read your Bible each day?
- Why is it important to have a regular quiet time?
- What kinds of things can you do in your quiet time?
- Whit said that he thanks God for allowing him to live another day in God’s grace. What does that mean?
Heard in episode
Mentioned in episode
|Jason Whittaker||Glenn Adams|
|Kelly Johnson||Glenn Adams|
|Nancy Johnson||Glenn Adams|
|Pete Johnson||Glenn Adams|
- After this episode (not counting #370 – #371: “Christmas Around the World”, which were recorded in an earlier season), AIO went on a hiatus that lasted until September of the next year.
- This sadly is the last episode to feature Lucy (as a kid character) and the last one chronologically to include Sam Johnson, bringing an end to two of the most beloved kids in Odyssey history.
- This episode marks the debut of Hal's Diner, which according to the Complete Guide was named after Hal Smith as "a tip of the hat."
- Sam Johnson's voice has fully changed in this episode. His voice was previously heard changing in #358: “The Secret Weapon”.
- The food distributor with whom Eugene plans to negotiate in this episode may be Steinway Grocers, the wholesale grocer that previously delivered an entire truckload of prunes to the shop (per Connie's mistake) in #351: “What Are You Gonna Do with Your Life?”.
- This also makes the final appearance of Glenn Adams (Adams' voice actor, Ryan Devin, was simultaneously a cast member of the TBN series Colby's Clubhouse series around the time he was providing Glenn's voice).
Glenn Adams: I'm here at Hal's Diner, a typical, greasy, spoon-feeding—
Hal Schneider: Hey, hey, hey! Watch what you say about the restaurant, kid.
Glenn Adams: A four star, highly-rated dining establishment where Hal Schneider, the owner, gave me his kind permission to record John Avery Whittaker eating his breakfast.
Connie Kendall: Why don't you have any ID in your wallet?
Harlow Doyle: What, are you nuts? I'm a private investigator. Strict secrecy is an imperative, unquote. If I kept identification in my wallet, why, then- why, then...
Connie Kendall: You'd lose it and no one would know who it belonged to!
Harlow Doyle: Precisely! You know, you might be cut out for this kind of work, Connie.
Lucy Cunningham-Schultz: What do you think tomorrow will be like?
John Whittaker: Oh, I suppose it will be a typical day in Odyssey.
Lucy Cunningham-Schultz: What do you mean by a "typical day?"
John Whittaker: Anything can happen! That's what I like about this place.