The Spy Who Bugged Me
Jared and Dwayne Oswald are acting out an adventure from an old "Captain Electric" comic book when they notice girls going into a playhouse in Sarah Prachett's backyard. Jared is positive the girls are up to something (because, after all, they are girls). On the way to Whit's End, the boys confront Sarah, who says the girls have formed a Super Secret Sisters Club, and what they are doing is a secret, but that they are planning something very important.
At Whit's End, Whit shows the boys his old Captain Electric spy kit, which he gives to the boys to play with for fun. However, they decide to use the equipment to spy on the girls. Camouflaged as a bush, Dwayne sneaks over to the girls' playhouse but is chased away by a dog. Dwayne is ready to give up, but Jared insists they must find out what the girls are doing.
When the boys see Sarah again, she refuses to tell them what the girls are up to because they are boys, and girls are smarter than boys. Jared's next scheme involves Dwayne dressing up as a new girl in town to infiltrate the girls' club. Dwayne blows his cover right away and is ready to give up spying, but Jared convinces Dwayne to loan him his remote control car. Attaching a walkie-talkie to the car, he uses it to listen to the girls' meeting. His plan backfires when the batteries go dead, and they only hear part of the girls' conversation, leading them to believe the girls are planning to shoot the mayor and sheriff.
The boys go to Whit with the information, and though he doesn't believe them, he agrees to go to the club to find out what is going on. Whit discovers that the girls are planning to create an "Odyssey Celebrities Calendar" to raise money for the Connellsville orphans home and their "shooting" meant taking pictures. Jared and Dwayne end up delivering the calendars as punishment for their spying, but Jared continues to find plots everywhere.
- Why did Jared and Dwayne want to spy on the girls?
- Why was it wrong for them to spy on them?
- What were the girls doing in their "Secret Sisters" club?
- How did Jared and Dwayne get confused?
- Is curiosity a bad thing?
- When can it really be a good thing?
- Why was it mean for Sarah to exclude Jared and Dwayne?
Heard in episode
|Mrs. Allison||Paul Herlinger|
|Dwayne Oswald||Kris Kachurak|
|Jared DeWhite||Brandon Gilberstadt|
|John Whittaker||Paul Herlinger|
|Mandy Straussberg||Aria Curzon|
|Sarah Prachett||Scarlett Pomers|
Mentioned in episode
|Mrs. DeWhite||Dwayne Oswald|
|Heather Acuff||Sarah Prachett|
|Julie Zeeke||Sarah Prachett|
|Stephen DeWhite||John Whittaker|
VERSION DIFFERENCE: [view] The album version of this episode is longer than the radio version. The lines when Dwayne is discussing his different motivations for his job as a bush are edited down for the broadcast.
- In this show, the girls talk about shooting the sheriff but not the deputy. This may be a reference to the Bob Marley song "I Shot The Sheriff."
- The old lady at the end of this episode was played by Paul Herlinger (voice of Whit).
- During this episode's opening comic book sequence, Dwayne for some reason repeats his infamous "badunchhhhhh" rimshot noise from #391: “The Joke's on You”.
- This is the 400th episode.
- The technique of holding down the talk button on a walkie-talkie to spy on a meeting would later be used in #507: “The Benefit of the Doubt”.
- During this episode's scene where the girls are enjoying a laugh over Jared and Dwayne's misunderstanding about "shooting" the sheriff and deputy, one of the girls in the background can be heard saying "why would we shoot [them]?". This (likely) ad-libbed line doesn't reflect the actual nature of the joke.
- The title of this episode is a play on the James Bond movie "The Spy Who Loved Me". Dwayne and Jared also refer to Bond while arguing over Dwayne's "undercover" assignment.
Dwayne Oswald: And also, what kind of personality does this bush have? Am I perplexed? Kindhearted? I can do a great kindhearted bush.
Jared DeWhite: You're a spy bush, Dwayne. Besides, don't think of yourself as a bush, think of yourself as a fully camouflaged, budding secret agent!
Dwayne Oswald: A bush.
Dwayne Oswald: That does it! <unzips a back pack>
Jared DeWhite: What? What are you doing? Hey! What's that?
Dwayne Oswald: Unbleached, all-purpose, self-rising...
Jared DeWhite: Flour?! Dwayne! You wouldn't! AAHH!!
Dwayne Oswald: I'm going to need years of therapy after this.