He has a strong sense of justice, believing that people who have a history of wrongdoing cannot be trusted to change for the better; as a result, he dislikes and is highly mistrustful of Wally Haggler. He can be very irritable, though he is looked up to by many, including Emily Jones; he is notorious for being "rudely terse". He was highly suspicious of several characters whom he believed to be involved in the Green Ring conspiracy, including Buck Oliver (though Buck outsmarted him), Monty Whittaker (briefly), and Agent Tanner. He often uses dry humor and sarcasm.
- Detective Polehaus once claimed to have kidnapped a cow after hitting his head in a car accident; this may or may not have been a joke (#681: “The Green Ring Conspiracy, Part 3”).
- He thinks his men are extremely incompetent and calls them clowns, among other names.
His wife died 7 years prior to his investigation of the Green Ring. He also had a nephew named Ryan who died of cancer at the age of five. His adoptive mother is still alive while his adoptive father is deceased.
|“||John Whittaker: Detective, I've been thinking about Trickle Lake Concrete.
Don Polehaus: Yeah? And sometimes I think about large balls of lint, what about it?
|“||Unknown : You're one of those guys who thinks being rudely terse is an endearing quality.
Don Polehaus: Am I wrong?
Unknown : I'll be right back.
|“||Don Polehaus: I couldn't be happier with the verdict. Well, actually I could be, but to do that would involve reintroducing the kinds of punishments used back in the middle ages. Good times.
|“||Don Polehaus: And the old cassette player?
Eugene Meltsner: I unearthed it from Mr. Whittaker's archives. When I push the button... <pushes it>
Unknown: ...Share the gospel before it's too late, and the best way to do it is communicate!
Don Polehaus: <overlapping> You'll wanna change that.
Eugene Meltsner: Well, perhaps so.
|“||Hadley Bassett: I found the burglar going through Wooton's desk and cabinets.
Don Polehaus : Going through it how?
Hadley Bassett: Rifling through the draws and compartments in an urgent but orderly manner.
Don Polehaus : Uh-huh. Then what did you do?
Hadley Bassett: I shouted something like, "Hey, stop that!" or "Put that down!" Or I might have just—AHHHH!!!
|“||Don Polehaus: If I didn’t count pathetic cases as friends, I’d be pretty lonely.
|“||Don Polehaus: Do you smell that?
John Whittaker: Smells like popcorn.
Don Polehaus: That's the smell of victory, which also smells a lot like popcorn!
|“||Don Polehaus: Martin! Just the person I wanted to yell at.
|“||Don Polehaus: By the way, do you find rudely terse endearing enough to consider having dinner with me?
Unknown : What about Mrs. Detective Polehaus?
Don Polehaus: She succumbed to a heart attack 7 years ago.
Unknown : I bet she's just using that as an excuse. Next customer please!
|“||Emily Jones: Oooh! You're putting on latex gloves, that's so cool! Is that to protect any fingerprints?
Don Polehaus: No, it's to make sure I don't give the money any icky germs.
Emily Jones: Really?
Don Polehaus: No, it's to protect any fingerprints.
|“||Miss Adelaide: Would you like to hang up a poster for the festival in the police station?
Don Polehaus: That's not my department. Uh-oh—does that mean the station is going to get hammered with paint balloons?
Miss Adelaide: I've seen the police station. It could use the color.
|“||Buck Oliver: Nice...backpack.
Don Polehaus: Yeah, it is. I bought it because it matches the coffee stains on my shirt.
|“||Don Polehaus: I'll check with you later, and get me that kid's spit.
John Whittaker: You have a way with words, Detective.
|“||Unknown : Hello?
Don Polehaus: Uh, it's for me.
Unknown : Oh.
|“||Don Polehaus: I became nasty because of guys like you.
Wally Haggler: I'm not who I was.
Don Polehaus: Sure you are. People don't ever change. Not really.
Wally Haggler: This one has.
|“||Don Polehaus: Is there some place we can talk privately?
Penny Wise: Oh. How about the Agora cafe downstairs? They have a private room. And I just LOVE their apple strudels!!
Don Polehaus: OK.
Benjamin Trask: Since Penny is my student, I ought to be there.
Don Polehaus: Suits me.
Penny Wise: Oh, can Connie come with me? For moral support?
Don Polehaus: Sure.
Connie Kendall: Well, if I'm going, then Whit has to come too.
John Whittaker: Alright.
Don Polehaus: Anyone else? Maybe we should invite the whole class.
Penny Wise: Don't be silly. There wouldn't be enough strudel for the whole class.
|“||Don Polehaus: I once kidnapped a cow after hitting my head in a car accident, but that's another story for another time.
|“||Don Polehaus: Stay close, Haggler. We're not finished with this.
Wally Haggler: Not by a long shot.
|“||Don Polehaus: Nice work, kids.
Eugene Meltsner: Did you call me a kid?
|“||Don Polehaus: And get rid of that toothpick! It'll stunt your growth!
|“||Don Polehaus: I've seen it happen more times than Wooton can count.
Wooton Bassett: Six?
Don Polehaus: Exactly.
|“||Don Polehaus: <to Whit> I think you need to get out of the sun.
|“||John Whittaker: So, what's everyone having?
Connie Kendall: My usual.
Don Polehaus: I'll have my usual too.
Wooton Bassett: And I'll have both their usuals with extra whipped cream and a side of licorice.
Don Polehaus has appeared in the following albums:
- Family Portraits
- The Lost Episodes
- Album 01: The Adventure Begins
- Album 02: The Wildest Summer Ever
- Album 03: Heroes
- Album 04: FUN-damentals
- Album 05: Daring Deeds, Sinister Schemes
- Album 06: Mission: Accomplished
- Album 07: On Thin Ice
- Album 08: Beyond Expectations
- Album 09: Just in Time
- Album 10: Other Times, Other Places
- Album 11: It’s Another Fine Day...
- Album 12: At Home and Abroad
- Album 13: It All Started When...
- Album 14: Meanwhile, in Another Part of Town
- Album 15: A Place of Wonder
- Album 16: Flights of Imagination
- Album 17: On Earth as It Is in Heaven
- Album 18: A Time of Discovery
- Album 19: Passport to Adventure
- Album 20: A Journey of Choices
- Album 21: Wish You Were Here!
- Album 22: The Changing Times
- Album 23: Twists and Turns
- Album 24: Risks and Rewards
- Album 25: Darkness Before Dawn
- Album 26: Back on the Air
- Album 27: The Search for Whit
- Album 28: Welcome Home!
- Album 29: Signed, Sealed and Committed
- Album 30: Through Thick and Thin
- Album 31: Days to Remember
- Album 32: Hidden Treasures
- Album 33: Virtual Realities
- Album 34: In Your Wildest Dreams
- Album 35: The Big Picture
- Album 36: Danger Signals
- Album 37: Countermoves
- Album 38: Battle Lines
- Album 39: Friends, Family, and Countrymen
- Album 40: Out of Control
- Album 41: In Hot Pursuit
- Album 42: No Way Out
- Album 43: Along for the Ride
- Album 44: Eugene Returns!
- Album 45: Lost and Found
- Album 46: A Date with Dad (and Other Calamities)
- Album 47: Into the Light
- Album 48: Moment of Truth
- Album 49: The Sky’s the Limit
- Album 50: The Best Small Town
- The Truth Chronicles
- Passages: Darien’s Rise
- Album 51: Take it From the Top
- Album 52: Cause and Effect
- Album 53: The Green Ring Conspiracy (12 episodes)
- Album 54: Clanging Cymbals...and the Meaning of God's Love (1 episode)
- Album 55: The Deep End
- Album 56: The Grand Design
- Album 57: A Call to Something More
- Album 58: The Ties That Bind (8 episodes)
- Album 59: Taking the Plunge (1 episode)
- Album 60: Head Over Heels (2 episodes)
- Album 61: Without a Hitch
- Album 62: Let’s Put on a Show! (1 episode)
- Album 63: Up in the Air
- Album 64: Under the Surface
- Album 65: Expect the Unexpected (2 episodes)
- Album 66: Trial by Fire (2 episodes)
- Album 67: More Than Meets the Eye (2 episodes)
- Album 68: Out of the Blue
- Album 69: Best Kept Secrets
- Album 70: Finding a Way (1 episode)
- Album 71: A Slippery Slope
- Album 72: The Long Road Home
- Album 73: 28 Hours
- Album 74
Don Polehaus has appeared in the following club seasons:
- Odyssey Adventure Club: Season 1 (1 episode)
- Odyssey Adventure Club: Season 2
- Odyssey Adventure Club: Season 3
- Adventures in Odyssey Club: Season 4
- Adventures in Odyssey Club: Season 5
- Adventures in Odyssey Club: Season 6
- 30th Birthday Live Show (album)
- Adventures in Odyssey Club: Season 10
- Adventures in Odyssey Club: Season 7
- Adventures in Odyssey Club: Season 8 (1 episode)
- Adventures in Odyssey Club: Season 9 (1 episode)
- Aventuras en Odisea: Volumen 1
- Aventuras en Odisea: Volumen 2
- Aventuras en Odisea: Volumen 3
- B-TV: The Collection
- Daily Bible Readings (album)
- Hope in Trying Times (1 episode)
- Odyssey Adventure Club: Season 1 Soundtrack
- Odyssey Adventure Club: Season 2 Soundtrack
- Odyssey Adventure Club: Season 3 Soundtrack
- Adventures in Odyssey Club: Season 4 Soundtrack
- Adventures in Odyssey Club: Season 5 Soundtrack
- Adventures in Odyssey Club: Season 6 Soundtrack
- The Leonard Meltsner Saga
- The Officer Harley Collection