Unto Us a Child Is Born
It’s Christmastime in Odyssey. This year, Jimmy Barclay has gotten ambitious with the annual Christmas production. Jimmy wants to perform the biblical account of Jesus’ birth, live on the radio. He coerces his family and the gang at Whit’s End to help. As a new Christian, Katrina is especially enthusiastic about the whole thing.
The rehearsals come off mostly without a hitch, except for whenever there is a stop or a break. Then George runs off to call the church; Mary has to lie down because she’s pregnant; Donna takes off to go shopping; and Connie, Jason, and Jack run out to the front counter to wait on customers. Only Eugene and Katrina stay at their posts. Eugene runs the board and Katrina handles the sound effects. But soon Eugene takes off, too. He’s anxious because Katrina has bought him a Christmas gift, and he hasn’t gotten one for her. So, at Connie’s suggestion, Eugene buys Katrina what he feels is an appropriate present.
The night of the broadcast rolls around. Everything is running smoothly, until Mary Barclay goes into labor, and George and Donna have to rush her to the hospital. Fortunately, Eugene and Katrina are there to fill in the roles of Joseph and Mary. During the final scene of the broadcast, Eugene’s feelings for Katrina blossom and grow. After the program, the two exchange gifts. They’re pleased and amused to see they’ve bought each other the same thing, a Bible. Meanwhile, at the hospital, the Barclays' coo over the newest addition to their family: a baby boy named Stewart Reed.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- What is the purpose behind gift-giving? Should Eugene have bought Katrina a gift merely because she had bought him one? Why or why not?
- Why was Katrina so excited about participating in the Christmas production?
- How do you celebrate Christmas at your church?
Heard in episode
Mentioned in episode
|Armitage Shanks||Katrina Shanks|
|Millie Shanks||Katrina Shanks|
|Doc Morton||Donna Barclay|
|Stewart Reed Barclay||George Barclay|
- When Jimmy tells Eugene to play a commercial during the broadcast scene — "whatever is in there" — the "commercial" that is played is the scene with the shepherds and angel that was played for Jack and Jason at the beginning of the episode.
- At the hospital, Donna says that Mary's doctor is Dr. Morton. Though that would mean she is an OBGYN and she appears as such in #241: “Forever... Amen”, she appears in #211 – #212: “The Mortal Coil” treating Whit after he collapsed in the Imagination Station.
- Interestingly, in this episode Chuck Bolte reprises his role as Joseph from #135 – #137: “Back to Bethlehem” and #176 – #177: “The Star”, albeit through the character of George Barclay.
- This is the only Christmas episode that is always rerun in its original broadcast order, rather than in December.
- The version of the theme heard in the closing wrap of this episode originally featured in the video episode Electric Christmas.
Jack Allen: They seem like a nice couple. I hope they get to the hospital—duh, the, the, the stable, quickly!