The Amazing Loser
On one of the final clues, Barrett meets a small girl who needs two more dollars for shoes because she says that she doesn't have any shoes, so Barrett gives two dollars to the girl, and it turns out that she has dozens of shoes. Barrett and Priscilla believe that the last dollar bill they gave the little girl was the key to their winning. Jay makes fun of Barrett and Priscilla and buys a 'Victory Gum Ball' with his change penny. So Barrett and Priscilla are disappointed and walk slowly back, but as it turns out, the item they needed was a penny! So Barrett and Priscilla win.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- Many historical figures are well known because they put the needs of others before their own comfort or safety. Read Philippians 2:4-8 for the ultimate example. Who are other "heroes of sacrifice"?
Heard in episode
- In the wrap-up, Chris apologizes to James Sanderson, the writer of " Hail to the Chief," for Jay's parody of that song.
- This is Will Ryan's 300th episode acting.
- This episode features the first appearance of Hal Schneider since #369: “It's a Wrap!”.
- The record store mentioned in this episode, Polymer's Records and Music, is mentioned in #179: “You Gotta Be Wise”.
- Eugene was previously part of a scavenger hunt in #198: “Treasure Hunt”.
- When Barrett and Priscilla are discussing "Stars and Stripes Forever", the music cue behind them plays a few notes of the song.
- When Barrett and Priscilla are declared winners, "Dixie" plays behind the dialogue.
- This episode's title is a dual reference to the reality TV shows The Amazing Race and The Biggest Loser.
- A character says "more cowbell" in this episode, referencing the popular Saturday Night Live sketch "More Cowbell".
- When Eugene gives Jay and Matthew the envelope, he says that inside is "Five crisp one dollar bills". Later in the episode, Barrett and Priscilla spend $1 on the sheet music and $2 helping Angie, and say that they have no more money, even though they would have been given $5, not $3.
- A possible explanation is that Barrett and Priscilla (and Matthew and Jay) may have used $2 earlier in the scavenger hunt.
John Whittaker: Well, let me say it's been a pleasure to host this year's band camp. I'm really looking forward to hearing what you all learn. Now, to kick things off. We decided to begin with something a little different. A competition.
Jay Smouse: Look out Barrett Jones. Soon you'll be tasting cold steel. The cold steel of my supper time triangle.
Jay Smouse: <to tune of Hail to the Chief> Hail to Jay Smouse who wins the scavenger hunt. Barrett Jones loses cause he's such a chump.