The Case of the Missing Train Car
Michelle Terry has a bad reputation. Fortunately, that reputation doesn't matter to people like Tom Riley and Whit. Tom and his wife, Agnes, are sponsoring Michelle on a "parole" from reform school. Whit has given Michelle free run of Whit's End, treating her the same as the other kids. Their good intentions are working - Michelle seems to be responding. She's built a fine miniature-blue-colored-caboose. Warren Summers, however, informs Michelle that to be truly authentic, the caboose should be red. Saying that, he proudly holds up his perfect replica of a Silver Streak engine.
Both Michelle and Warren are pleased with and protective of their work, which is why Warren panics the next day when he goes to Whit's End and discovers his Silver Streak is missing! Officer Harley is there and takes over the investigation. Unfortunately, all fingers seem to point at Michelle. Officer Harley takes them all for a ride out to the Riley farm to question Michelle and finds that she had both the motive and opportunity to steal the caboose. Whit and Tom refuse to believe it, though.
- Should Warren have accused Michelle?
- Why or why not?
- Should Whit and Tom have defended Michelle?
- Why or why not?
- Connie said Michelle was “just no good.” Do you believe that?
- Does God believe someone is no good?
- Explain your answer.
- Read Matthew 18:21-35. Why do you think Jesus wants us to forgive each other so often?
Heard in episode
|Michelle Terry||Stacy Alcorn|
|Warren Summers||Michael Parisi|
|John Whittaker||Hal Smith|
|Tom Riley||Walker Edmiston|
|Connie Kendall||Katie Leigh|
|David Harley||Will Ryan|
- This episode would be later remade as #118: “What Happened to the Silver Streak?”.
- This episode features the first mention of Tom's wife, Agnes. It also marks the first appearance of Tom Riley's farm.
- After the name Odyssey USA was decided to be changed, the name of the show was briefly simply "Odyssey." As such, this episode does not feature Whit's usual introduction during the opening theme, instead just the theme music plays.
- This is one of the first mystery episodes on the program.
- This episode is only available to members of the Adventures in Odyssey Club.
Connie Kendall: Whit! Hury up. Warren's mom is honking and the vacuum is eating the carpet.
John Whittaker: Hah ut oh. Come on Warren we better get down there before the vacuum starts honking and your mom starts eating the carpet.
Warren Summers: Fine, I didn't have any cavities. Of course, I never do.
David Harley: Really? You know my mother was that way. She never got any cavities either. Of course she had false teeth. I wonder if that had something to do with it?
Warren Summers: Help! Call the police! The FBI! The National Guard! Somebody dial 9-1-1!
John Whittaker: Whoa whoa whoa-oh slow down there Warren. What's the matter?
Warren Summers: Somebody stole my Silver Streak.
Connie Kendall: You did do it, didn't you. Didn't you!
Michelle Terry: Planned? It didn't take much planning. When you were talking on the stairs with Connie I had just enough time to grab the Silver Streak and put it in my nap sack. Then after I helped Connie, I got all my stuff and left. Only I went around to the back, I was just gonna throw the silver streak away, but when I saw that the wheels had broken off I came up with this idea.
Tom Riley: You mean you planed this whole thing?