Connie, Part 1
Wintertime has come again to Odyssey - and so has Connie's trip to California. Everything is settled. All that's left now is getting time off from work. Whit grudgingly gives it, adding that he'll have to look for part-time help while Connie is away. Eugene Meltsner comes in and Whit hires him on the spot, and Eugene immediately goes about trying to change everything in sight. Soon it's the day of Connie's big departure.
Whit and June Kendall see Connie off on her trip. Whit gives her an early Christmas present to open on the bus. He and June hug Connie goodbye, and she leaves on her two-day bus ride to California.
The next morning, just outside Los Angeles, Connie awakens to find an elderly woman, Mrs. Nelson, sitting next to her. They talk, and Connie discovers Mrs. Nelson is a Christian.
Connie muses that Whit probably arranged this, but Mrs. Nelson says it wasn't Whit - it was God. She tells Connie that God loves her, and He has put people in her life who have shown her that love. It's up to her to believe. As they arrive in California, Connie ponders this.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- Why did Connie want to get back to California so badly?
- Tom told Whit that what happened to Connie in California was God’s business. What did he mean by that?
- Both Mrs. Nelson and Pamela told Connie that God was putting people in her path to influence her. Can you think of people who have influenced you for God?
Heard in episode
- This episode introduces everyone's favorite genius: Eugene Meltsner. The character of Eugene was inspired in part by a listener who wrote in suggesting a character like her dad: brilliant, but always losing his keys.
- In this episode, Connie reflected back on her life in Odyssey before her conversion, just like Eugene did in #330: “The Time Has Come”. Eugene's first flashback in that episode is a scene in this episode, when he first met Whit and Tom.
- These episodes marked the end of Connie's journey to become a Christian, which took about a year of the show and many of the "stepping stones" episodes. In contrast, Eugene's eventual conversion took nearly eight years.
- This episode contains clips from #7: “Promises, Promises”, #34: “Stormy Weather”, and #50: “Karen”: See Episodes with Flashbacks
- This episode takes place away from Odyssey: Episodes That Take Place Away from Odyssey
Eugene Meltsner: My name is Eugene Meltsner, and I'm a science student and, might I add in all modesty, a recognized genius at the Campbell County Community College.
Tom Riley: Eugene, I just can't understand a word you're saying. Are you one of those foreign exchange students?
Bus Driver: Good morning ladies and gentlemen. We'll be arriving at the Los Angeles bus terminal in just a few moments. Now would be a good time to start gathering your things. I'd offer you hot towels, but if I get out of my seat we'll crash.