Tragedy! Mandy Straussberg's goldfish died and she seeks out Harlow Doyle to solve the case. How could this terrible crime have been committed? The goldfish tells the story of how Mandy adopted and loved him, but then began to pay less and less attention to him. He is tortured by her lack of enthusiasm and by her cat and her brother, David. Then Mandy comes to the realization herself...she killed the goldfish by not paying attention to him.
- How did Crackers the Goldfish die?
- Jesus said (in Luke 16:10) "Whoever can be trusted with little things can also be trusted with much." What did Jesus mean?
- If your parents ask you to do something around the house, how can you prove that you can be trusted?
- How can doing a little thing well-like your chores-lead to bigger responsibilities?
|David Straussberg||Jeff Ellison|
|Eugene Meltsner||Will Ryan|
|Harlow Doyle||Will Ryan|
|John Whittaker||Paul Herlinger|
|Mandy Straussberg||Aria Curzon|
- This is the first of two mini-episodes comprising one half-hour of Adventures in Odyssey, with the second one being "Long Way Home."
- During his narration, in lamenting how Mandy lost interest in him, Crackers references the chorus of the song "Mandy" made popular by Barry Manilow: "Oh Mandy, well you came and you gave without taking."
- Crackers (apparently a music fan) also quotes the song "Summertime" made famous by Ella Fitzgerald when he says "It was summertime and the livin' was easy". Funnily enough the next line of the song is "fish are jumpin'". As he says the line the music cue behind him plays the tune for the quoted line of the song.
- The name of the episode references Sunset Boulevard, a movie in which the dead character tells the story, just like Crackers.
- Harlow Doyle and Mandy say "Get it?" "Got it!" "Good!" , which is probably a reference from the Danny Kaye movie, The Court Jester. The same phrase was used in #79: “Our Best Vacation Ever” during the barn-raising.
- Apparently in between #398: “A Case of Revenge” and this episode, something happened to Mandy's cat Simpson.
- Harlow's explanation about the murder of Crackers occurring after a lone gunman's fatal shot ricocheted off a grassy knoll bears more than a passing resemblance to theories regarding the assassination of John F. Kennedy.
QuotesMandy Straussberg: Uh, the first part of my name is Strauss.
Harlow Doyle: The stress is on Strauss, huh? Never fear, Miss Strauss-stress!
Crackers: That's me upside-down there in the fish bowl.
Mandy Straussberg: Do you have any advice on how I should take care of him?
Eugene Meltsner: Well, as a matter of fact, there are a few items to keep in mind. Clean his water every other day. One meal per day is enough to sustain him. Supply him with a balanced diet of worms, breadcrumbs, water fleas and plants, and take care not to overfeed him. Keep his water temperature at 18.4 degrees Celsius, of course, and make sure he has plenty of shade, because goldfish do not have eyelids. Do you understand?
Mandy Straussberg: Um...clean his water how often?