As head of the Barclay household, George wants to lead his family in a responsible manner, but sometimes fumbles. He’s a loving, well-meaning husband/father in his early forties and a hard worker, until he was laid off. After that, he answered a call to the ministry and now pastors a church in the small New England town of Pokenberry Falls.
- Main article: Barclay family
George is the strong head of the Barclay household, with three children (Donna, Jimmy, and Stewart Reed), and is married to Mary Barclay. His father is Grandpa Barclay. He takes exception to the family's dog, Normal, but doesn't seem to mind the cat, Ferguson. He has also mentioned a brother named Bill.
George tries hard to understand what his kids are going through, and attempts to lead them in a responsible manner. He fumbles occasionally, but isn't afraid to admit it, even to his kids. He often has self-doubt, but manages to make those around him feel secure, and generally finds his foot-hold soon. He was a hard worker, until he was laid off of his job. After that, he answered a call to the ministry and now pastors a church in the small New England town of Pokenberry Falls. He dearly loves his family and cares for them the best way he knows how.
- George's name was a purposeful reference to George Bailey in the film "It's a Wonderful Life." In fact, the names of the entire Barclay family were references to that film, as revealed in an interview released on CD. Numerous other It’s a Wonderful Life References appear throughout AIO.
- George once lost his job and his wife and kids all got their own jobs to help out on their first interview Our Daily Bread
- George once hummed a wedding tune for Connie Kendall and Robert Mitchell's wedding rehearsal.
- George was the Interim Pastor at Odyssey Community Church for a while before taking the job of Pastor at Pokenberry Falls.
- He dislikes the Burger World restaurant.
- George's full name is George Rand McNally Barclay.
- See Barclay quotes.