Where's Your Daddy?
The Myers family comes to Odyssey with a secret: Father and husband Ernie Myers is in jail.
Whit and Connie are preparing a space for the Christmas tree inside Whit's End. They look out the window and notice a woman sitting on a park bench under a tree. She’s been sitting there for some time, and now she’s crying. Whit investigates and discovers that the woman’s name is Julie Myers. She and her children, Eric and Brooke, moved to Odyssey a few weeks ago, and Julie hasn’t been able to find a job. So Whit promptly offers her one.
Later, Tom Riley brings a fresh tree in from his farm, which they all set up and decorate with envelopes from the Angel Tree Project. In the envelopes are the names of families who have a parent in prison. People from churches around Odyssey will come in, pick up an envelope, and help that family by giving clothing and toys.
Later, Whit and Tom discover that the Myers family is a candidate for such help: Julie’s husband, Ernie, is in prison. Whit, Connie, and especially Tom resolve to help the Myers. Tom visits Ernie in prison and studies the Bible with him, unbeknownst to the rest of the family.
Meanwhile, Eric is bitter about his dad and thinks that no one will be willing to help them. But Christmas morning proves Eric wrong. Brooke gets a new doll, Eric gets a bicycle, and Julie gets from Ernie the best present of all: a letter saying Ernie has become a Christian. After hearing this news, Julie decides to offer the kids a present of her own: a visit to their dad. And while they have nothing to give him, Tom believes that somehow their joy will be enough.
- This plot section is too short and should be expanded. »
- Why didn’t anybody except Whit want to hire Julie Myers?
- Why didn’t Whit have a problem with it?
- Why was Eric so skeptical of Whit, Tom, and Connie?
- Does your church have a prison visitation program or an Angel Tree project?
- If so, how can you participate?
Heard in episode
|Connie Kendall||Katie Leigh|
|John Whittaker||Hal Smith|
|Julie Myers||Donna Christie|
|Tom Riley||Walker Edmiston|
|Eric Myers||Joe Dammann|
|Brooke Myers||Amber Arnold|
- This episode marks the first mention of Tom Riley's deceased son Timmy.
- The wraparound to this episode features a Christmas version of the Odyssey theme.
- At the end of this broadcast, Chris gives a telephone number and address for the Angel Tree Project.
- Joe Dammann, the voice of Eric Myers, also played Nicholas, the main character in the McGee & Me videos.
Julie Myers: When the gavel came down and the judge sentenced my husband, we were sentenced, too. Except we wound up in a different kind of prison. But it's just as lonely and dark.