The Treasure Room
Aubrey Shepard and Lisa Mulligan meet at Whit's End. As Aubrey and Lisa talk, Aubrey complains that her family is poor. Lisa tells her she will want to see Whit's new Treasure Room, which some kids think will contain rare paintings,gold, or even stacks of $100 bills. Eugene hears their speculation and warns them about greed, but Aubrey dreams of what it would be like to be rich.She imagines having a butler, milk and cookies every hour,and her own ship! She's so rich that the Queen of England begs her for money! Suddenly she just has to see the secret room, and the two friend plot to break in to the room but fail. Then they realize the door wasn't locked. When they enter the room they spot a painting that must be a rare impressionistic watercolor, but accidentally knock paint onto it! When Mr. Whittaker finds out what happened, he seriously talks to them about sneaking around, breaking and entering, and abusing his trust. He takes them back into the Treasure Room and explains that the pictures of themselves and other Odyssey kids represent his treasures, and that the painting had been done by Mandy Straussberg when she was five years old. Furthermore, Whit explained that his true treasure is in all the kids that God has brought into his life, and that each one of them was more precious than any amount of money ever would be. Though Whit tells them he certainly forgives them, he does require that they clean up the place. Aubrey writes the lesson she has learned--that people are the most valuable things in life, even Bethany!
- Do you think it was okay for Lisa and Aubrey to want to get into the Treasure Room?
- Why or why not?
- What did Whit mean that the paintings represented his "true treasure?"
Heard in episode
|Aubrey Shepard||Danielle Judovits|
|Bethany Shepard||Sara Pilgreen|
|Eugene Meltsner||Will Ryan|
|John Whittaker||Paul Herlinger|
|Lisa Mulligan||Nicole Myers|
|Skydiving Company Representative||Unknown|
Mentioned in episode
|Liz Horton||Lisa Mulligan|
|Sarah Prachett||Lisa Mulligan|
|Nathaniel Graham||Lisa Mulligan|
- VERSION DIFFERENCE: The album version contains a few extra lines. While talking about Whit's encyclopedia company, Lisa mentions how much a Q or T encyclopedia would cost. During Aubrey's dream sequence, she is notified that Lisa wants to play tennis and also sends her sister away.
- This episode originally had an AIO shorty between it and its pair, Chain Reaction. The shorty was titled "And You Think You've Got Problems: Josiah". This shorty is available as a bonus feature on Album 13: It All Started When...
- Aubrey and Lisa have apparently also made up since their friendship disintegrated in "Blind Girl's Bluff."
- Aubrey tells Lisa that she got her lock-picking kit from Jared DeWhite before he moved away. In "Blind Girl's Bluff," Aubrey didn't know who Jared was.
- There are no quotes listed for this episode. ».